Ranger doesn't like to start when hot

I have a 92 Ranger 4.0L w/ 153K miles that uses a lot oil, about a quart every tank of gas. I've noticed that when the engine is hot, especially when the oil level is get about a quart low, the engine won't restart when warm. The engine will restart when cooled off or it will restart if you hook up a jumper box.

The battery is a 7 year Ford battery, only a few years old. Is the engine binding up when hot or what might be going on? The way it's using oil, I suspect the engine is about spent.

Reply to
Mac Cool

I'd suspect the battery or the starter motor. H

Reply to
Hairy

Hi, We have several rangers in my family and they all break down. Your oil cunsumption can be caused by first; bad oil seals on your valves, 2; worn valve guides, 3; or bad rings. First is to check the valve stem seals to see if they are bad. With your valve covers removed you can visably check the seals. Look for cracks and hardness. Most likely they are bad. You can replace them yourself if you use a small engine valve spring compressor to remove the clips, spring retainer, and valve springs. and most importantly you have to pressurize the cylinder with a compressor so that your valve doesn't fall into the engine. Oh yeah' you have to remove the valve train. Ford had some problems with the stock heads on the 2.9 V6. There is a better and improved head available for these. I have a friend who is a machinest here in San Diego. His name is Marty and his # is 619-697-4094. He may be able to help you further. He knows motor weaknesses very well. I've been doing business with him over

20 years. He's an excellent mach> I have a 92 Ranger 4.0L w/ 153K miles that uses a lot oil, about a quart
Reply to
Jessie Herrera

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:19:01 -0800, Jessie Herrera rearranged some electrons to form:

This I gotta hear. OK Jessie, tell us how the battery will explode if the ignition coil is not disconnected?

Reply to
David M

Reply to
Jessie Herrera

Jessie Herrera:

thanks for the info, this is what I was looking for.

Reply to
Mac Cool

Reply to
Jessie Herrera

Try changing the ignition module on the distributor. Most common cause of Ford motors not starting when hot.

Reply to
Edward Stammer