Sticky Transmission in 2002 Mini - Normal??

We're recent converts and love our ice green 2002 Mini, but have one minor concern. The gearshift occasionally 'sticks' when going into or out of reverse. Not all the time, maybe once every week or two. The car is aproaching the end of its 50K mi. factory warrantee and so we wanted the dealership to rectify this now (fearing it was a sympton of some large problem looming) but the dealer would not offer any repair. The serviceman shook his head sympathetically and said 'yeah, they all do that' or words to the effect (presumably lesson #1 as mechanic's school)

They did offer to extend the warrantee based on our reporting the issue within the warrantee period but it would only be prorated over15 or 20K mi.

Does anyone recognize this symptom and can you comment on it's prevalence in the Mini Line? should we be concerned about it?

(n.b. it 'appears' that shifting from 2nd into Reverse temporarily 'fixes' the problem.)

Many TIA Martin

Reply to
mf
1) you have posted to the wrong NG, 2) if your dealer knows about the problem, but is unwilling to rectify the fault, then contact BMW head office, with the name of the dealership, the address and phone number should be printed on the back page of the service handbook, 3) write to the service manager at the dealership and tell him your intention, 4) give him one more chance to repair the fault, 5) obtain names of service personnel who you have dealt with regarding this fault, 6) failing that,,, sell the car and buy a 2000 Cooper Sports pack................ they are more fun, ;-) HTH Fitzy

Reply to
Fitzy

Yep. Correct newsgroup for disucssing the many inadequcies and dreadful reliablility record of the new so-called Mini is alt.autos.new-mini. There you should be able to commune with fellow sufferers.

Regards, David Betts snipped-for-privacy@minilist.org The Mini Gallery:

David Betts

lol

Taffy