2001 Galant V6 - premium fuel required?

I was about 24 hours away from a test drive of a 2001 Galant ES V6 at a local dealer when I stumbled across some older reviews of this car that mention the premium gas requirement of the engine. Thank God for the web, because I had no idea. I have two questions for any Mitsu experts

- first, is premium actually required (what happens if you run regular unleaded in it?) and two, is there a way to tell if the former owner ran the car on premium or not?

Any advice/suggestions are much appreciated.

SWS

Reply to
sceptimus_smith

It isn't required. The data you may have seen was referring to the previous turbo version that hasn't been used in years.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Hmmm. No mention of a turbo at this link:

...but it DOES mention the Galant V6 and "required premium fuel."

I guess the only way to know for sure is to get hold of an ES Galant w/V6 owner's manual....unless there are any current Galant ES V6 owners out there who could do it for me? :)

SWS

Reply to
sceptimus_smith