'97 Eclipse GSX Question(s)

I have a couple of quick questions:

When I start the car these days, the volt light and brake light (dash) both come on, and stay on for a while. Revving the engine eventually makes both lights go out. Is this a sign of an electrical problem? Bad alternator and/or bad battery?

I need ABS sensors on two or more wheels. I can't do the work myself, and want to avoid the dealer. Any reputable places that do this type of work? I got a very high quote from my usual car repair place (over $400 for two sensors) and want to make sure this quote is in line. I'm sure the dealer will charge top dollar, and then some.

Reply to
Gary

I'm not 100% sure the two problems aren't related, but I assume you did the obvious and checked brake fluid and belts? On the 95-96 the alternator light would make the fluid light come on when it was bad. I'm assuming that the alternator is the culprit for both lights. It maybe as simple as a loose belt, but don't bet the farm on it. Check the belts first, then check for a broken crank pully, and finally; check the alternator. None of these are difficult to replace with a total estimate of an 1-2 hours to replace all three.

As for the ABS speed sensors, it doesn't look that hard from reading the manual. It appears the axles have to come out. That means a little more than a brake job, but not difficult. The hardest part about getting the axles out is getting the nut off the axle in the first place. If you have jack stands, tools, and the time, go for it. Otherwise, $400 for parts and labor sounds cheap.

If you do it yourself, go ahead and do a brake job (pads/rotors), tranny oil, transfer oil (might as well do rear diff oil). Also check CV boots for damage. Since you're popping the axles, you may want to replace the axle seals or have spares on hand (~$6) and new retaining clips.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Only going to comment on ABS ABS when it is not working functions as normal power assist brakes. When Mitsu first started putting them on the eclipse they had some problems with faulty funcion Google it you'll find a ton of complaints.

If the light on your cluster bothers you - take it out. one of the first tests is for the light bulb, if it does not sense the bulb ABS is disabled. I have even seen a write up about removing the ABS unit to simply make room in the engine compartment. A LOT of people would rather have normal brakes..

Reply to
Gorf