alignment/uneven tread - when to replace tire?

I just bought myself a 2002 Mirage DE, in great condition. My only caveat was the tires - the fronts definitely need replacing, and there's a noise with the rear-left tire. I couldn't diagnose the noise, but since it only happened starting at about 35mph, I was sure it was tire trouble. The dealer offered to replace the two fronts, and rotate the tires for me to see if that fixed the noise... we have an appointment next week.

Tonight I took the noisy tire off to get a better look at it, and I found my culprit - the tread wear is very uneven. The tire looks gorgeous and new (matches the other rear tire) everywhere except on the inside 3cm or so - which is completely bald. Smooth like a baby's bum, with hints of the occasional tread if you look carefully.

To me, this says I should have the alignment and bearing checked when the dealer replaces the fronts. My question is - is that tire still usable? Can I just rotate it elsewhere and leave it alone? The rest of the tread is in such good shape... or will it continue to cause problems?

And dammit - isn't it a bad thing to replace 3 tires? I should really be replacing 4, which turns something the dealer should have covered into an expensive operation! Advice?

Reply to
luigi966

If any of the 4 surface tyres show a uneven wear, some thing is very wrong. Looking at teh tyres from the front, where is the worst wear, on the inside or out side of the tyre. Another aspect, if they are illegal, replace all 4 and learn from that experience. Upon buying 4 tyres, check air weekly and have the tyres rotated every 10,000 kms ( 6,000 miles ), its a touchy situation, let the tyres wear down too much and they are useless. Spend the extra cash to obtain the maximum mileage from your tyres.

Hope i have helped

Reply to
Peter

I thought it was just alighnment or bearing that would do that to a tire - are there more serious issues I don't know about?

Looking at it from the front, the wear is on the left side - the inside. Th erest of the tire is in such good shape as to appear new.

Another aspect, if they are illegal, replace all 4

Eh? Not sure what you mean by illegal. Can you clarify?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
luigi966 via CarKB.com

Here in Australia, any tyre with less than 1/16th of a inch or 2 mm is illegal as per the dept of motor transport and we can be fined the maximum of $125.00 and have 24 hours to replace that tyre. So, i am thinking there must be a legal limit for tyres where you live. Check with your dept of transport or what ever dept is present and find out the legallity of badly worn tyres.

Peter

Reply to
Peter

Definately get the alignment checked when you get the new tires. Hopefully it's just an alignment issue. Could be something bent, in which case it needs to be fixed as soon as possible. I personally would not use that tire. if it's already smooth it won't be long before the belts are showing then you risk a blowout and all that is assoiated with them includeing loseing control of the car, definately nothing to play with.

Regards, Chance

Reply to
Chance

Yeah, that's what I think I'll do. I'm having them check the alignment when they put on the new tires, and I'll be buying 3 new ones. Wish I could afford a 4th, but the reality is I can't and the rear right tire is in perfect shape. Is there any way for them to check the bearing as well, or do I have to road test that?

Good news is, my warranty covers the suspension, so if there's a serious issue in the back, it's probably covered.

Thanks for all your help!

Reply to
luigi966 via CarKB.com

Read the fine print, and you'll find the (probably huge) list of stuff that's not. Wear and tear failure (eg wheel bearings) is generally NOT covered.

I bought a $100 90 day warranty on the last used car I bought. All the common stuff that could go wrong was not covered, and all the stuff that almost never happens was.

eg if the transmission fails because of catastrophic internal breakage that causes something to smash its way out of the case. Internal failure that does not is not covered.

I made use of the warranty when the 5th gear synchro nut worked loose and cracked the end casing. Simple repair and done without taking the transmission out. Cost about $400.

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS