Alternator Belt Continuously Slipping Off

Hi, My '96 Mitsubishi Galant is throwing us for a MAJOR curve here. First things first. Since the car has over 100,000 miles on it there are some 'flaws' that usually don't affect the operation of the vehicle. Needless to say my lights were left on one day and the battery went dead (due to my error as well as the cars 'warning' bell not going off upon getting out of the car). I had been noticing BEFORE the battery went dead that when I would be driving at night the headlights would dim upon applying the brakes. SOOO...battery went dead, couldn't jump start it (figured it must have had a bad cell)...bought a new battery. New battery seemed to cause the belts to spin faster...and a squeal could be heard upon starting the vehilce. Then....I had a belt go. Replaced BOTH power stearing and alternator belts.....MAJOR, MAJOR sqealing erupted from the belts. Adjusted belts again....they were fine for 3 or 4 days. Driving down the highway....alternator belt gets chewed up, but thankfully stayed in place. Replace belt again. From this point on whenever the car is cold (such as in the early morning or evening) the alternator belt continuously 'slips' or is kicked off. We've adjusted the feet on the tensioner to see if that was the problem, as well as checked all pulleys. Any ideas why once the belts are put back on and tightened up it will stay ON after repeatedly starting and stoping the engine, but a few hours later when the temp is down it is throwing the belt off? Alternator appears to be functioning properly, battery and belts are all new. We are at a MAJOR loss here and can use ANY help with this. There isn't any information on this in the Chilton manual on this type of thing either. Thanks in advance!! :)

Reply to
Robert

There's plenty of info on the web on this. Replace the "harmonic balancer" or "crank pulley". It's the same thing, but it is probably broken and wobbling.

Reply to
Nobody U. Know

Thanks for the help. Any idea where I can find the web info? I've been searching and haven't come up with much information. I'll use the terms "harmonic balancer" and "crank pulley" to see what I come up with, but do you have a good site you could recommend?

Reply to
Robert

Check the Mitsubishi forums on

There is a lot of information there for the 6G72 engines.

Reply to
MG