240 alternator belt keeps slipping

My son took his '92 240 to a local shop to have a bolt replaced holding the alternator on. A week later the belt still slips and now the shop says the alternator bushings need to be replaced and there is no way it can be tightened. I have to admit that 25 years of driving 240,740,940s I've never replaced alternator bushings (that I know of. I can see how the belt might be out of alignment from the bushings but I would think it could still be tightened... I'm not sure I believe the shop. I get the feeling their mechanic did a poor job and now they're jerking my kid around. I haven't weighed in yet. I want to get a little more perspective before I do.

Reply to
Don b.

These bushings are usually shot by around 100K miles/10 years or so. I replace all of them as a matter of course when I go through a RWD Volvo, they're not expensive or difficult to replace. When they wear out, you get exactly the symptom you describe.

Reply to
James Sweet

Interesting, my 360 alternator bearings were a bit rough after 200K miles (brushes or regulator failed so got it overhauled), but it didn't cause squealing. However my 95 940 squeals on full lock, do you think new bushes will help (presumably PS bushes)?

-- Tony

Reply to
Tony

Reply to
Jon Robertson

A worn or poor quality belt is more likely to squeal, but bushings that are worn to the point that alignment is off will greatly accelerate wear of the belt. The bushings are only $1.75 each from FCP Groton, not sure why anyone wouldn't just replace them all at once.

Reply to
James Sweet