Am I missing something here?

Has anybody else noticed that prices for supposedly good used cars (especially at the borderline banger level) seem to be going up?

I've been looking at adding "sensible"[1] car to my fleet and while sorting through the usual overdescribed heaps (like a 'mint' 420SEL with disconnected aircon, blowing exhaust, rust in all four door bottoms and some odd noise from the engine), I came across two rather decent cars. Both of which I went to see, one went over my wallet pain threshold before I even had a chance to bid, the other I got outbid on the very last second and that was after going over my pain-in-the-wallet threshold as well.

What strikes me as odd is that in both cases, I was pretty much the only person who actually showed up to view the car. Everybody else was just bidding on the strength of the photos. I've done this before myself, but I usually don't once we're talking more than 600-700 quid for a vehicle.

Odd, that.

[1] One with four usable seats and a boot big enough to hold a decent-sized suitcase, for starters
Reply to
Timo Geusch

Scorpio Ultima mate... 24v one... before the price goes up :-p

Ebay is rapidly becoming useless for cars. The Autotrader regularly has a selection of what you want, cheaper, nearer, and with the opportunity to haggle when you go to see it.

After all, how often to you hear of people buying cars / bikes cheap, then putting them on ebay? Much more often than people buying 'em cheap on ebay lately. Even TOG seems to have cut down his regular "just bought this" posts on UKRMC, if there was cheap stuff out there, he'd have bought it.

I don't even look on ebay much now, if I own something then there tends to be 5 examples out there for silly cheap money, but if I want one the prices are insanely high.

I am the ebay Timonator!

Reply to
Pete M

Hrmpf. If it was the Granada Scorpio I'd have waved cash in your face quite a while ago but I just can't get along with the jellymould design.

TBH I haven't looked at autotrader for a while now as it seems to be full of dealers and not much else down here. Maybe I should have a look again...

I think there isn't that much cheap good quality stuff out there at the moment, and the money isn't really on bikes anymore. That said, it seems to become harder to get your money back breaking stuff as well.

I also noticed that there are more and more dealers offloading cars on ebay and the cynic in me suggests that it may not be simply because you get bigger exposure for them. People still tend to buy cars fairly local, I think people like us who travel a few hundred miles to pick up a bike or a car are a bit of a minority.

Ah yes, I know that feeling. Actually for the more interesting stuff I either look around on pistonheads or on the forums for the appropriate model. Cuts down on the impulse "cheap s**te on ebay" buys as well.

You and me both, mate.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I'd have said the same until I got this one. I had loads of Mk2 Granadas then when I drove the Mk3 I thought "Ewww, what a POS" and stayed away. The 24v one raised interest, but I can't abide the seats in the Mk3.

I bought the Scorpio without having even driven a 24v one, in fact I bought this one without driving it. Thought it'd be just a comfy, wallowy barge with a bit of kick when needed. First decent stretch of twisties I gave it a bit of stick and was more suprised by the thing handling as well as it does than by the actual performance.

I seem to be doing well avoiding ebay impulse buys lately, mainly by not looking on ebay. I do browse pistonheads classifieds a bit too much though. I keep having to spend money to stop me going to Italy and buying that RS2600 - even though it's wayyy to expensive.

Heh.

Reply to
Pete M

Well, the one thing I like about the Granada is the fact that is was available as a hatchback, which the Scorpio wasn't...

Hmm. Not that I need another performance car.

Doh. Pistonheads being the new ebay or somesuch.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Spot on. I've been having a good rummage through Fleabay today, and looking on Autotrader's website. The prices are definitely more sensible (and realistic) in AT. The cars I might want to buy are nearer too.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

I managed to finally get another radio for my Scorp tonight off a chap from the Scorpio forum. Turns out the chap has a thing for Scorpios and sorted me out with a load of bits for mine. Fitted the radio at the chaps house and, weirdly enough, it's made me like the car a whole load more. Same radio but the display on this one works.

Driving home I was trying to decide what to do with the car, whether to sell it or to just keep running the thing until it dies, so I was cruising along the M62 weighing up the pros and cons of keeping it.

I'm actually thinking of keeping it for a couple of years and doing all those little irritating jobs that all older cars invariably have.

Wouldn't take much to make it about as good as they come. Needs a rear abs sensor sorting out because the tc/abs lights come on occasionally, the airbag slip ring behind the wheel adjusting for the same reason, a bloody good valet and possibly an anti-roll bar bush replacing but it could be a balljoint. Oh, and a bulb in the fuel gauge area of the dash.

Reply to
Pete M

It's a whale.

You are falling over to the dark side!

Still it stays a whale.

Get a harpoon!

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Heh, thing is, it's bloody good at what it does.

Next cheap runabout will probably be an Impreza or Legacy Turbo, if I'm going to the dark side, I might as well go the full hog.

Reply to
Pete M

Ford never get the aestetiscs of their big Fords right but the underpinnings were always sound.

Point taken :-)

As to the Subaru: the thing refuses to die. I've a rough time lately: too much work, not enough sleep. Anyway: as I always drive on "trip- meter" I don't see the actual mileage.

The Legacy had to enter service at 170.000 , I discovered it was at

187.000 km. It went in for maintenance, came out 2 hours later: all fine, Sir.

And hey: in Germany they sell a 2l 150 Hp boxer turbo-diesel in the new shape Legacy. I need the extra range diesel warrants, while the 4wd system keeps me out of trouble even after a long day, going back home in the drizzle and the pedal to the metal. Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

I'm rapidly coming to that conclusion after having another poke around AT.

Oh well, that's another kind of items that ebay has become useless for then. Mind you, I couldn't help noticing that the BMW 540i up the road that was for sale on ebay (and went for a noticeable amount over my comfort threshold) is still parked outside the seller's house.

If it's still there when I'm back from the US I may have to have a word with him :)

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I'd say Legacy, but then I'm biased. But if found it the far more practical car compared to a Impreza if you're looking at an Estate.

Reply to
Timo Geusch