Bushes - Rubber / polythene

...or furry? (sorry)

I was watching a programme on the discovery channel today where that vet builds cars, and in this episode he was rebuilding an old MG. He had replaced the original rubber & metal bushes with polythene (or polyurethane, not sure what he said), except the ones of the anti-roll bars which remained as the metal and rubber sort, due to lack of availability.

He seemed to imply that the polythene/urethane ones were better.

Can someone explain how? I'm just curious. I have seen adverts for replacement poly* bushes in Land Rover magazines, and I had always wondered what the benefits are.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
conkersack

Homer

'Coz he's not a dentist...

Polyurethane bushes are stiffer so you get better location at the cost of much harshness. They are of most benefit on dreadful suspension like that fitted to the Marina^H^H^H^H^HGB but absolutely not what you want on your daily driver and pretty pointless unless rear axle location has been improved first.

Cheap computerised maths means that the predictable deformation of bushes is factored into modern suspension design and in many cases stiff poly bushes will make things worse all round by preventing desired camber and toe variations - e.g.passive steer rear axles.

I'd not fit poly bushes to anything but a track car and even then I'd only do it to solve an untweakable problem - like owning a MGB rather than a TVR or TR - rather than as a matter of course.

Alistair J Murray

Seconded. I fitted polybushes to my Locost and they're gonna be replaced at some point, they're too harsh and unforgiving...

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Must tell steveH he's got one of them now hasn't he?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Interesting. I was thinking of polybushing my Golf (MK2 GTi), but it's going to be my daily car, never a track car...

Reply to
Doki

The wishbone bushes kept failing on my 205 (on new wishbones), and after this happening for the third time I decided to buy some poly bushes instead of just getting a new wishbone and having the same thing happen again. People said I would get more vibrations coming through the car, but cant say I noticed any, and there were no problems with them failing after swapping them.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Which bushes did you use? There's more than one hardness of polyurethane...

Reply to
Doki

Superflex (polyurethane). They were pretty stiff compared to the standard ones.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs
[...]

Do the wishbones pick up on a rubber mounted subframe or straight to the shell?

Reading

(thanks Homer) I notice they claimgood NVH performance but also that their BMW E39 kits only replace afraction of the bushes and none of the funkier ones...

Alistair J Murray

They mount onto a subframe which is bolted directly to the floor pan.

I found

to be much cheaper, and rumour had it, just as good as Poweflex. I was only after the wishbone bushes so didnt ask what else they did.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Not only can they last longer but they're often cheaper than the rubber parts and I'm sure this is why a lot of people fit them. On many cars rubber bush wear is frequent and consequently expensive.

Reply to
adder1969