bushes

I've read a few articles about fitting polybushes and it seems a big press is needed. but can the regular rubber bushes be fitted at home or do they need a press also? (need to replace springs soon so I'm intending to do the shocks and bushes too).

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

The press may be needed in order to remove the old bushes. If you use polyurathane bushes you do not need a press in most of the cases and especially with those that have two pieces for its location (cut in half and connected with an inner metallic tube)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Twas Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:59:26 +0200 when "Pantelis Giamarellos" put finger to keyboard producing:

for removing old bushes and possibly fitting new ones is it worth buying one of those tools on difflock.com or a big vice or should I stick with a 2lb hammer and lots of swearing?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Reply to
johnty

"Pantelis Giamarellos" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de:

I just put the blow torch on them and then they knocked out quite easily. Did I do wrong?

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

You don't need a big press for polybushes, they go in real easy, just grease and fingers.

To get the old ones out you need:

penetrating oil applied to the old bolts for several days before. (buy new ones as you will probably have to cut or grind the old ones off)

Grinder to grind old bolts off

Blow torch to apply a bit of heat to bolts to get them off and also to burn the old rubber off the old bushes so that you can get them out. I found the only way to get the bushes out was to burn them.

Lots of change to go in the swear box

big hammer to hit things when you get really pi**ed off with the bolts and bushes that don't come off

Strong socket set with massive bar to shift bolts

Copper grease so that when everything is put back together it should be easier to tack off again in a few years time.

But the new polybushes go on very easily.

Did I mention that getting the old bolt and bushes out can be hard?

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

Nearly forgot, axle stand the body and use a jack under the axle. You need to move the axle up and down to get the things lined up when putting back together.

Don't be put off by my last post, it is a job that most people can do. Just get the grinder and the blow torch ready.

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel

New springs NO,

New dampers (shock absorber) YES.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

In message , Nigel writes

Please be aware that burning buses out does two things

1) risks heating up the surrounding material and changing its temper (not good for spring eyes) and 2) the modified rubber used in bushes liberates all sorts of nasty carcinogens when burnt - the smoke and fumes should not be inhaled.

So although it can be done this way, it isn't (and shouldn't be) recommended as good practice ...

In the absence of a press, use a well fitting drift (not a socket!) and swing the biggest hammer you can comfortably handle but most importantly ensure you use a very solid base (a good anvil is perfect) and you can knock most things out ... not much good for chassis bushes but for anything 'removable' it works the majority of the time, is quicker and cleaner than burning them out and using the same drift on the same anvil with the same hammer makes putting the new ones in easier ...

Reply to
AJG

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Makes the passengers late and REALLY annoys the drivers?

;-)

David

Reply to
rads

So AJG was, like

What about the Bushwacka tool? It was (ISTR) developed by the makers of the original Polybushes to get the old bushes out - basically a screw thread with various spacers, washers, nuts etc. Never used one, but it sounds quite civilised. I ought to get one, as both the trialler and the Series will need new bushes before too long. Anyone know the source?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Twas Fri, 5 Nov 2004 20:24:04 +0000 (UTC) when "Richard Brookman" put finger to keyboard producing:

I think that's the tool I refferred to available from

trouble is if I buy one and use it for, say, a week if the job drags-on. I'll not need it again for years.. there must be a second-hand market in these tools.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

They have them at Dingocroft

but for the costof them I would get a length of threaded bar and an assortment of pipeoffcuts.

Regards,

Tony.

Reply to
Tony Wilkinson

Looking at the subject line, I thought it was about your photography!!!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Hitting bushes in or out can lead to deformed bushes (very quick wear), or worse, a cracked chassis round the tubes.

A big vice (taken off the bench for the chassis bushes!!!) will put them in ok, and judicious use of a cold chisel will get them out. The biggest size threaded rod and some nuts and washers will also get them in - ie a home made Bushwaka (sp?), and often out.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Ours do!

Cheers Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

So Nige was, like

Hey, that's rude!

(I did think they were quite tasteful, though.)

(More's the pity.)

;-)

Reply to
Richard Brookman

What can you do?

Quite topical though with the lunatic getting re-elected!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Richard I am sorry I forgot about the series vehicles.

It is just that here in Greece the word coils is used for only the helical shaped round ones while the ones used on series vehicles are usually called springs.

In any case with all due respect to the true LR enthusiasts (I mean those driving the genuine LR, namely the series vehicles) I feel I must excuse and say that you are right.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos