Ford Racing Suspension

We had the Ford Racing suspension kit fitted to Kermit on the weekend - matching springs and dampers.

It's lowered the car by about an inch, made the ride a little bit firmer most of the time (no different some of the time and bordering on harsh for some of the time).

The biggest difference is the lack of the nose dropping under firm braking. Less body roll, ya I'd expect that... It now corners much flatter than before, which can be quite deceptive 'cos you barrel into corners a wee bit quicker. :)

He's also been surprisingly more balanced when I've tried provocation, such as hooning into a roundabout, giving it some lock, lifting off the throttle, and waiting to catch the back end. I suspect when it goes it'll be a bit snappier...

So what's next? I got me some chav wheels, some chav lights, he's been lowered... Maybe an underbody lighting arrangement? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Bwahahahahahaha.

Racing.

Ka.

*wanders off shaking head*
Reply to
SteveH

You and I have had discussions in the past of the merits, and otherwise, of Fords, Kas, and their racing expertise - and you came off second best. Wanna try it again? :)

Reply to
DervMan

I could never come off second best to anyone who drives a chavved up Ka. That's a winner for me everytime.

Around these parts they do seem to be the new chavwheels, probably 'cos of the cheap insurance.

You could have bought a proper car with what you've plunged into that heap of s**te.

Reply to
SteveH

You did last time.

Yup.

Oh like you did with the Nissan? Headline news: stalwart Alfa fan, needs an entertaining car for the commute... gets a Primera, no no sorry a Passat... Eh? Money, mouth, is?

I can't argue no more tonight, I've some fish to attend to! More tomorrow, yes? :p

Reply to
DervMan

No, I was always a winner, 'cos I don't have a chavved up shopping trolley on my drive.

Cheap car that did the motorway slog well enough for 3 months. But not my thing.

Quick, build quality Ford can only dream of, handles well enough, no, it's not an Alfa, but I'm waiting for 166s to hit £2k, then I'm having one.

Can't see the point in arguing with anyone who rates the Ka as a decent car. It's a shopping trolley for housewives, ffs.

Reply to
SteveH

Why is your car reffered to as "He".

I really struggle to get my head round this....

I can almost understand a member of the fairer sex reffering to their car as a He, but a bloke doing the same ?

Sorry - I'm struggling with that.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Hello,

A decent sized engine would be next instead of having something that only manages 0-60 in 15seconds and a top speed of 85mph! Have you ever driven anything bigger than a 1.3 8v? All the extras will weigh it down, make it look stupid and leave people wondering why you didn't save the money you're wasting and put it towards a better car. Still, it's your choice. But I can't help wondering why so many people with a small engined car go to such extreme measures to alter the bodywork. How many fast boy racer cars do you see? None, because they all have one thing in common - a small underpowered engine. Usually it's a Clio, Corsa, Nova, Fiesta or Micra, all with 1litre engines or not much bigger. I really don't see the point as the cars are faster when left unmolested. Oh dear! Do post some pictures.

Reply to
PK

Read the archive and please stop top posting utter drivel.

groups.google.com

Tell us something you didn't tell us several times already and that we didn't know before then anyway.

There are pictures of Dervman's Ka in various states of molestation is several places all over the internet.

Why not add your car to the uk.rec.mods gallery?

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You mean like the 1.7 Zetec-SE from the Puma?

*cough* Erm, yes.

Weighint it down? Okay so the spoiler weighs around 20 kg, but the suspension components are lighter, the wheels are lighter, and the ABS, air conditioning and leather interior are standard.

Bodywork? Kermit? Eh?

How many fast boy racers do you see at quarter mile events?

How many Dervys do you see at quarter mile events?

Clue: one's bigger than t'other.

You muppet.

I'll write it slowly so as you've chance to write it down: w w w . d e r v m a n . c o m

Reply to
DervMan

Aye, but he's not just my car, he's ours. Charlie wanted a boy car... :-/

Reply to
DervMan

That's right, instead you have a number of cars in various states of disrepair and you enthuse about driving a notable drivers car, the Passat. Hmmm.

No it didn't do it well enough because you moaned about it for two months, three weeks.

Compared to a Ka, yes.

Compared to lots of other stuff, no.

You really hate yourself for buying those Escorts, don't you? Remove the blinkers and visit a Ford dealership with an open mind. Better yet, go to a company with a fleet of Focii or Mondeo, preferably with some into three figures, and weep.

"Well enough" you say. You also reckoned that the Focus couldn't handle. Kinda going against the considered opinion there?

Will you be able to afford the upkeep? The salary for the priest you'll need to exercise the electric demons every other day?

So why do so many non-housewives run them?

Why are there no housewives competing in the Ford Rally Ka events?

Why did Ford develop a large number of motorsport parts for the Ka?

Stop hating yourself for mistakes in the past - those Escorts - and try to live a little.

Reply to
DervMan

It must be amazing to have no life *whatsoever*. How do you cope ?

I'd be going mad if I was so lonely that I could afford to waste valuable lifetime posting offtopic drivel every day !

I sugest you go and get a hobby. Or a girlfriend ! Or a job ! Or infact,

*anything* that could fill your void !
Reply to
Nom

A burberry cap :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Erm, wasn't he on about suspension modifications?

I'll point you to

or his own website, in his sig.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Yeah, that Dervy's a reet ole fat bastard :-)

(*Very* ironic, coming from me)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Erm, there's only one broken car outside my house, that's the Golf. That's only broken as I don't often have time or the energy to work on it, but I'm gradually doing bits to it at the moment.

Yes, I moaned about it, but I used it for 3 months, it wasn't too bad, but just not me.

0-60 in 8.5 in a rather large car isn't too bad at all.

A lot of people I work with buy stuff like that, and, you know something, they're pretty cheap and nasty inside.

Driven a Focus, it feels all wrong, it's like driving an MPV, I can't stand a car with a jacked up driving position, just gives me no confidence in what it's doing.

You appear to be mistaking me for someone who's broke. I have a rather large disposable income as a result of the combination of a relatively high salary for what I do and a tiny mortgage. There's a difference between being able to afford something and not wanting to spend the money. What I do have a problem with is paying the upkeep on an Alfa to run it into the ground commuting 500-odd miles / week.

Because they're cheap and the owners don't know any better.

Women, generally, don't do motorsports.

Because the Ka has a s**te image, and motorsports was one way to make it 'cool'.

I'm not the sad geek with an obsession for fuel economy and a Ka with bolt on tat.

Reply to
SteveH

I think I've heard this before somewhere?

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Obviously you are hanging round in rather an impoverished area for Boyracers.

The local Cruise club has a goodly selection of Porsche 944, Porsche 911 coupe and cabrio, Bentley Twin turbo, a P6 3500, a very modified multicarbed 1500 Midget, a couple of very modified old Beetles, several imaculate MK1 and M2 Rally Escorts, a MK1 rally Fiesta (very clean) and a MK1 Fiesta with an RS turbo coversion, a couple of Mini turbos with various levels of trim, Several Impreza turbos in various forms from Turbo 2000 to STi, A couple of EVO VI's and 3 EVO VIIIs, two Supra turbos, 6 RX7 turbos, couple of Supercharged VTEC civics, several Type R Civics and tegs, a Supercharged Focus, a Celica with Nitrous and supercharger, and my GT4, and couple of Toyota and Chevy Monster trucks.

Quite a bit of Bodykits and paint/graphics in evidence sometimes, but very little SOT most weeks.

Of course we also have made sure the event is as legal as possible by gaining use of the gravelled car park known as "The Field", infact it proved so popular, when the guy who started the club wanted out, he ebayed the domains to the club website, and the guy who owns the land bought them, and agreed to take over the club (with the agreement of other senior members), and include trade stands on "Meet" nights.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

That's why it's an option. Personally, I would never change them back.

And you can feel the road better, which for me is less deceptive.

Maybe, but you'll get more warning too and find it much easier to control slides, OTOH isn't it FWD? If you're talking about FWD it ought to understeer?

Yeah, and get yerself drummed out of urcm... ;)

How about nitrous?

Reply to
Questions