Forgot to mention...

The IS has a tracker fitted, so I'm going to find out what it will cost to change details and see if it makes enough difference to my insurance to make it worth while.

Reply to
Elder

You appear to be labouring under the impression someone would actually want to lift an IS200. :-P

Reply to
JackH

I'm just going to find out what the "membership" costs, then do a few quotes, if it makes a difference that is enough, pay it. If it doesn't I won't bother.

Reply to
Elder

Plenty of ethnic types love them....

I'd get the tracker sorted, or it'll end up on big rims in Dakar Yellow at Keighley Trade Centre.

Reply to
SteveH

f*ck all you'll probably find, my mate insurance company insisted on a tracker on his MR2 Turbo or they wouldn't insure it. when i insured mine they didn't insist on any security, i told them it had an alarm which saved me 10 quid and when i asked about a tracker they said that would save me another tenner, hardly worth it as i think at the time a tracker and membership was £300!

this might help you, prices are slightly cheaper to what they was

Vamp

The sort who would go to the trouble of lifting something and ringing it / doubling it up, won't be bothering with an IS that old.

Reply to
JackH

The Vee had an RAC Trackstar fitted from new at the import centre where Renault gave the UK cars alarm/immobiliser and the tracker. No insurance companies at the time would insure one without a tracker. Not sure why, it was only as easy to steal as another Clio, and it's not like it stood out...

IIRC it's like, £100 to get it re-activated, and it can cost more if it's been off for ages because it goes into some kind of deep sleep. Membership for the whole time you own the car is like, £300, and not transferrable to another owner when you sell it. Otherwise it;s about £100 a year iirc. Also, do you have the certificate? It has some codes on you need, otherwise you have to find the tracker itself and get some numbers on it, and you'll need to get a new one to satisfy the insurance company. The Vee's was quite easy to get too, I'm not gonna say where it is online as they all had them in the same place. I got a quote from Admiral, same details except one with RAC Trackstar and one without - the price didn't change so much as a penny. At your age, and with an IS200, you'd never make up enough savings on your insurance to pay for the £300 lifetime sub, unless you kept the car for like, 20 years, and even then it's pushing it...

Reply to
DanB

So what you're saying is that, if he keeps it for 3 months then it

*definitely* won't be worth it, then? :-)
Reply to
AstraVanMann

Unless his insurance company are incredibly fond of trackers, and his premium goes down to double figures then, well, probably not :-) Maybe worth the £100+£100 for re-activating and a years membership as it seems more likely that £200 would come off the insurance than £400 I guess...

Reply to
DanB

Yeah, I have the cert. I figured it might not work out cheaper, but might as well check when doing quotes. Some insurance companies will give silly discounts for the stupidest things, and ramp up the price for others, especially now I'm old.

I saw about £80 a year on the IS come renewal time to the Saab. The saab was down as 1k value, and 15years old. The IS is down as 4k value, both had imobiliser/alarm similar kit levels and the IS is more desirable to nick, and a Saab is considered an old persons car, but a small lex is for kids sick of their hondas, but the Lex is cheaper to insure.

Reply to
Elder

But the IS will have a factory transponder immobiliser, surely?

That makes a massive difference to the theft risk, as most factory transponders are so hard to get around that the only way to steal the car is to lift it onto a flatbed.

Reply to
SteveH

check the link i gave in my other post, on that site they mention insurance companies and rought discounts, some are up to 15%

Reply to
Vamp

Not factory, but UK Lexus. Ask Ronny about it. He was telling me on IM, how the cars would come over basiclly stripped out unbadged Toyota versions, and then a tech would have an alloted ammount of time to fit UK trim and spec level equipment, depending on what job they were doing, to each car. He used to be on that line apparently. So I guess someone in the UK would have been responsible for fitting that with the premium sound system.

It does say in the paper work that Tracker is the choice of Lexus UK. Probably something to do with the Lexus finance he took out.

It does have transponder imobiliser system keys and a "Lexus audible security system" installed as well though.

Reply to
Elder

That wouldn't be enough to make it worth while on such an old car I don't reckon.

Reply to
Elder

That's the important bit.

Factory fit transponders do more for security than anything else the UK importer or dealer could possibly add.

With a factory transponder, it's highly unlikely a tracker would get a significant discount.

Reply to
SteveH

Same as the Vee, Renault Cat 1 Alarm and Immobiliser, window etchings and RAC Trackstar all fitted when they got to the UK. Imports Vees are easy to spot as they almost certainly won't have the Renault alarm/immob (probably will have some kind've alarm though), or the window etchings as they don't seem a common thing to have done and they only have a tracker if one of the owners or the importer had fitted one. They also had plaques with numbers greater than 500.

There was a guy on the V6 owners forum who was insistant that his car wasn't an import, as it had originally been sold by a UK dealer - who had obviously imported it themselves. It had none of the security bits though and the plaque number was in the 1000's. He got really angry and abusive when given proof as well, as even though it barely makes a difference to the value, as long as they're RHD, he was obviously really pissed off because he didn't want an import. If he'd done just a few seconds reading of the V6 owners FAQs he'd have known what to look for, but no, he blundered in, got told the truth and had a huge strop and then I think he left. Probably going to sell it and lie about it being a UK car...

Reply to
DanB

"DanB" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yeh, that's a very specific and narrow title. I can see how it's easy to diverge wildly from it...

Anyway, NAHAY?

Reply to
Adrian

Heh yea that was a bad choice, I should've said first post or something.

I've never known what that one means, but I always see it used in the same situations where people are basically just saying "Who cares?" but with some more words with different letters. Google will educate me I'm sure... Ah, "New Around Here Are You?" - yea that makes sense :-)

Reply to
DanB

err old persons car? all the lexi i see are owned by balding old gits...:-)

Reply to
john

"john" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

The bigger Lexs, especially with the obligatory Nor'n Iron private plate, do seem to have taken over from aging Jags as the pub landlord's transport of choice, but the IS is prime bradford-gangsta-wannabe territory.

Reply to
Adrian