gte engine swap

Hi, I have an astra gte 1.8 mk 2 with a knocking cranckshaft, I have the chance to fit a 1.8 sri engine including ecu. would this be a straight swap or would I need the complete loom as well. the engines also use different ignition systems (distributors are different) or could the head off the 1.8E engine be bolted to the block of the 1.8 se engine as the block is the only part I really need to replace any ideas anybody thanks alot Andy.

Reply to
binnie.beddall

simple swap engine for engine no need to swap ecu's unless the numbers are different

Reply to
dojj

Never mind numbers, the whole injection system is different. Hes talking 18E engine and the one he has to put in it is a 18SE.. the 18E is a real old type management system, this is the same as a Mk1 GTE. 18SE is from 88 onwards.. he'll need ECU and the engine. no big deal, doubt if he'll have to do any wiring, it should just all plug in. Naturally he'll use the se engine loom...

You could just change heads but its alot of hassle when you can just swap the engines - more straight forward, should be able to have it up and running in a day.

Reply to
Mark Craft

Reply to
binnie.beddall

The head and cam carrier are separate, so just fit the 2 bits you want to use.

Reply to
yeha

The 18E and 18SE engine use a different distributor, so you cannot just swap the cam carriers over. You may be able to swap the cams over, but I have a feeling they will be different at the distributor drive end as well.

HTH

Anthony Remove eight from email to reply.

Reply to
Anthony Britt