Mechanical TD tuning (ping Abo?)

Hi chaps,

I recently bought a 306TD for SWMBO. It's a '97, but in decent nick, 2 prev owners and 81k miles. Anyway, it looks likely that it's going to be the family runaround, with me doing a good chunk of the driving, so I'm thinking of things to give it a bit more poke. I previously had a 405 with the same lump, and had that fettled by a company down in Leics somewhere - it made it quite a bit quicker, and I'd happily go back there, except that I'm living up in Durham now, so I'm wondering if anyone knows of anyone in the Durham/Tees/Stockton area or anywhere up to the Tyne who might be able to provide similar fettlage[1], preferably without instant engine borkage?

I know Abo lurks round these parts somewhere and may have Local Knowledge, but any suggestions welcome.

atc

p.s. sorry for the OT posting..

[1] I could follow one of the internet guides and DIY, but I'm not sure I trust myself - I'd rather find someone who knows from harsh experience how much is too much...
Reply to
Albert T Cone

If it's an XUD on a Bosch pump, remove the anti-tamper plug for the mixture screw, then screw the adjuster half a turn in (or maybe out :) for a bit of black-smoke-action ;) (or a quarter of a turn for less smoke but more oooomph...)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

Indeed , but you really want to be re-setting the boost aneroid peg as well as the max fuelling screw (mentioned above) for best results, and also checking and subsequently adjusting the boost pressure.

I expect the wastegate spring has gone soft and you are not seeing the original factory 1 bar. Start by getting that right, then adjust the fuelling.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Bah I was going to suggest DIY, I've not taken a car to be fettled for ages. Motorscope on Standard Way in Northallerton used to be the dogs but I'm not sure what they're like these days. Plenty of chav shops round here though.

There's Future Racing Developments in the Boro but again I dunno what they're like.

DIY is relatively straightforward on that engine though, if you don't mind giving the fuel pump a bit of a reacharound. It's dead easy to mess about with the fuelling. Just make sure you lob on a boost gauge first so you know where you're starting from.

Nice guide here:

Abo

I'm trying to find someone who'd do similar to my 1.9TD Xantia with the same motor as yours, so if you find out, let me know.. I don't mind travelling to have it done right!

cheers MIke

Reply to
Mike P

Thanks Abo (and Tony, and Tim..). It really doesn't look too bad, does it. Hmmm. I have a boost gauge on my 205, that I can borrow, so I don't really have any excuses. Certainly, as Tim.. says, worth checking that I'm actually getting the boost I should be.

Cheers chaps. There might actually be some modding going on shortly...

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Well, after encouragement from the others, and reading through a couple of the how-to guides, it really doesn't look too daunting, so I reckon I might have a go at DIYing it. If you don't fancy that, the people I used for my 405TD were:

(services->mechanical tuning) IIRC, it cost about £120, and they are based in Asbourne (Derbyshire? Leics? somewhere halfway down and flat, anyway...)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

That's what I'm looking for :-) At the moment, I've no way of getting under the car to fiddle with the wastegate. I'm sure it's not boosting properly as it will only do 105mph now. When I got it, it would indicate a heady 125 :-). It *feels* flat too...

Thanks a lot! Mike

Reply to
Mike P

No problem. The 405 chugged along a good bit better after they had twiddled with it for an hour or so - definitely worth the dosh. If they weren't several million miles south of me now I'd be heading back there.

Good luck!

Reply to
Albert T Cone