Re: [OT] Microsoft

>> They are supposed to have an x86 based version of tiger, if they would

> >> ship it I would move across. > > > > Doesn't matter that it's x86 based, you'll still need Mac hardware to > > run it - it's just that Apple are shifting from PPC to x86 CPUs next > > year. > > They were talking of launching an non Mac version to compete with windows, I > can't see it costing much more to open it up and they get a new market.

Doesn't work like that.

OSX relies on knowing what sort of hardware it's going to be running on

- which is why it's so slick and stable. You don't get that when Intel box-shifters bung loads of cheap components together to make a Wintel machine.

Aside from that - Apple make far too much money from hardware to release a 'generic' OSX that'll run on any old Intel box.

Reply to
SteveH

It's just a unix shell, and now has it's own HAL thanks to the diversity of hardware shipped in mac boxes.

Reply to
Depresion

It's not as diverse as you might think.

Certainly not as diverse as Wintel hardware.

To kick things off, you only have 3 processors to worry about - G3, G4 and G5. I've lost count of the number of variations there are on the x86 theme.

You don't have to worry about sound, or aftermarket USB / Firewire as it's all a fixed on-board standard. Same with WiFi - only 2 kinds of hardware - Airport and Airport Extreme.

The architecture of an Intel (PC) box and a Mac box are totally different - this won't change when the CPU is switched to Intel - that's a relatively simple CPU swap - the rest of the custom hardware will remain.

There's a hell of a lot more to OSX than it being a Unix shell.

Reply to
SteveH

I have no 'advantage' thing?

Reply to
DanTXD

Oh yes i do :)

That works like a charm :p

Reply to
DanTXD

->They were talking of launching an non Mac version to compete with windows, I

->can't see it costing much more to open it up and they get a new market.

->

Easy enough to do as it's just a rehash of the NeXT OS and that ran on intel machines, well the OpenStep version did, finding drivers was a PITA tho.

Reply to
Geoff

Microsoft advantage or windows advantage or whatever its called, just look in a few different tabs and you will see it.

Reply to
Burgerman

Until they sus that one out!

Reply to
Burgerman

Change the "add-ons currently loaded" to "add-ons that have been used. Sorting by Publisher may help.

Reply to
Depresion

Cool, I'll try that :)

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Is this a "XP Home" thing ? Ccan't see that in XP Corp...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

and i cant find it in XP PRO :(

Reply to
aussie bongo

I have PRO and it's there, what part can't you find?

You need to have done a manual windows update in the last week or so for the activeX DLL to be installed.

Reply to
Depresion

Well i have the tools in IE but i dont have anything to do with (Microsoft advantage or windows advantage)

Reply to
aussie bongo

The exact listing is Name: "Windows Genuine Advantage"

Publisher: "Microsoft Corporation"

Type: "ActiveX Control"

File: "LegitCheckControl.dll"

So if you do a search for LegitCheckControl.dll in [windows directory]/system32 (well that's where my copy is, if it's there you have it installed if it's not you haven't downloaded it yet.

Reply to
Depresion

directory]/system32

nope still dont / cant find it.. it do not seem to be on mine :(

Reply to
aussie bongo

Not having it is a good thing as it can't cause you problems.

Reply to
Depresion

but i cant install sp1 or sp2

Reply to
aussie bongo

Odd, probably not related to Windows Genuine Advantage AFAIK it only installs after SP2, SP1 and 2 have cd key black lists for common pirate keys but I can't help you with that as it would be unethical.

Reply to
Depresion