Speedometer doesn't work on 1994 Buick Century.

I have a speedometer that doesn't work on a 1994 Buick Century. I took the car off the road for the summer and just put it on the road for a winter beater. I replaced the speed sensor and also the speedometer assembly unit. It worked OK for about 2 weeks. Now it doesn't work again.

When I start it, the speedometer does go up to the 5 MPH mark as it usually does when you turn on the key, but it doesn't move.

Any ideas what it could be? Could it be a short or something? I'm flat out of ideas.

Reply to
eacantdraft

Shep

Is there anyway to disconnect the transmission from beiong sensitive to the speedometer so that the transmission shifts normally without it being stuck in second before the "Check Engine" light comes on?

Shep wrote:

Reply to
eacantdraft

Any possibility the new speed sensor failed? A lot of aftermarket parts aren't much good. What brand was it?

Reply to
NickySantoro

I've had garages put test it by putting in other speed sensors. Didn't help.

Another unusual thing is if I let the car rest without starting it for a few days, the speedometer will work OK for a short while.

Reply to
eacantdraft

Yesterday, I had a problem where the car would not shift at all and the check engine light would not come on. The speedometer wouldn't work as usual. The only times when the car wouldn't shift is when it was warm after I shut it off. If I wait until it cools off, it will shift properly once the check engine light comes on.

Is this an indication of a short?

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
eacantdraft