timing q

what is the likelyhood of a car slipping a tooth on the timing belt ?

and would the above cause said car to cut out and then refuse to start? I think i may have a solution to the 205 problem :)

Reply to
Rob

One tooth is unlikely to stop it starting, but performance will be decidely lethargic.

Several teeth will stop it dead.

I assume it is dead dead now, and not occasionally dead?

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Belt not snapped?

Reply to
Elder

nope belts in one piece

if i wind the dizzy right round she makes a half baked attempt at firing but thats as good as it gets :(

Reply to
Rob

Seriously - have you tried cleaning the crankshaft sensor? I'm not 100% sure there'd be one but the old Vauxhall 8v engines had them (certainly the

2 litre ones - 20SE), and they go back to at least to 1985, so yours probably has.

It was dead easy to get to - just a wee 10mm bolt at one end of the engine block, took the thing out and it was black - rubbed it down with emery paper or somesuch until it was a shiny silvery metal colour, put it back in, and bingo - fired straight up.

Try it!

Reply to
AstraVanMan

"AstraVanMan" wrote

Meant to say - your description of the half-baked attempt at firing was

*exactly* what my Carlton did, when the cure turned out to be cleaning of the crank sensor.
Reply to
AstraVanMan

alas i have had the crank sensor thing before on a cav sri . BUT i have a spark :)

Reply to
Rob

I'm pretty sure I did too, on the Carlton - just a very weak one.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I'd imagine the crank sensor function is pretty boolean. It either works, or it doesn't.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

The Cav SRi (C/20SEH, 20NE - not XE valver) runs the Motronic 1.5 system. Same system as the 205, or the later ones as Rob mentioned earlier.

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Quite possible with a slack belt/knackered pulleys.

No. One tooth won't matter much.

Reply to
Conor

Yes, but on the Pug, the ignition is triggered from a Hall sensor in the Dizzy, not off the crank see innit.....

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Are you sure it's got all it's teeth? PSA engines tend to shred the 6 or so round the bottom pulley when they go.

If it's got one check the vac actuator on the diss and it's vac line to the carb.

Bosch took over the role of Lucas. Made pseudo electronic distributors, electronic pick up but still mechanical crap, with advance weights that just fell apart, used rubber bits that go hard, split and die at a few years old. I've seen a few PSA and GM cars from the late 80's that have all been afflicted by crap Bosch junk. Trouble is the ones the scrap yards are all dead or on last legs too, so you have to buy pattern bits at motor factors, about 1/3rd price of Bosch but last even less time.

Peter Hill

"Tim.." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Ohh, if its the same type Hall sensor Volvo use, it may be a break in the wiring on that. That was the only weakness I found on my old 740s, two of them broke down with a wiring failure on the Hall sensor, cured with a touch of solder. Look in the dizzy cap where the wiring goes in for the Hall sensor. When mine went it started as a major misfire, then ran OK, then major misfire, car acting like it was overheating in a very bad way, then dead.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Stuart Gray wrote in news:Xns97D2138BBC18Fstuartggraydslpipexc@216.196.109.145:

PS.

I've got the petrol Pug205 HBOL lying about somewhere, had to buy it in conjunction with the diesel one when I bought the 205D. If I find it and you want a scan of a page or two...

Reply to
Stuart Gray
205D. If I find it and

much appreciated Stuart

Reply to
Rob

Ah, hall sensors. The weak spot on Saab LH Jetronic model dizzys too.

Reply to
Elder

You'd think.

But they're really flaky. Especially in mid 80s french stuff. I've had several CXs that I had to say prayers to the gods of Valeo and Bosch before starting, and sometimes had to sacrifice a snail too.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

*snort* Amen.