Zetec mods.. what next?

OK, so I've tinkered with the air filter and put a heavy breathing exhaust on my 2.0 Mondeo (silvertop Zetec). It's good as far as it goes, but I want to give it more grunt, particularly torque.

And obviously I want to do it for next to nothing and keep it 100% reliable... so what's next?

Reply to
PCPaul

Nos ?

James

What mods does your insurance company allow? DIY gass flowed head, scrapyard turbo or supercharger conversion?

Reply to
Ian

There is no next: everything costs money and even the sun doesn't rise for free.

The only thing that cost but thinking is loosing weight on the car. 20-

30 kg is possible without any hassle. 200 kg is possible too but it won't be easy nor cheap.

I like flywheel shaving as it gives the car far crisper accelleration in low gears. On modern engines taking 2-3 kg of it lets the engine idle as sweet as before. You want extra torque? And for free? 100% reliable?

You want the moon, my dear fellow... but maybe you could take away the cat and replace it by a straight pipe. It frees up around 5 Hp, fuel consumption drops and you loose 3-4 kg. Make it so that for MOT you can easily replace the cat.

The three items (weight, flywheel and cat) will modify the behavior of your car but do not expect a transformation to a rocket. The above works and is condemned by the one who proposes them.

Oy yes: did you weight your new exhaust / compare it to the original?

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Rip the insides out of it, like Tom says. You'll get sick of the noise and it'll be a pain in the arse to get all the trim back in if you ever want to sell it. A good trick is to buy some dry ice, put it all on the floor and the underseal will just chip off.

Reply to
Doki

Take a couple of mm off the head, use Super unleaded to stop it detonating, thats almost free to do and will give you 5 to 10 percent more go at all rpms. Careful head gas flow (mainly a good careful valve seat cutting job, also gives a bit more. All DIY stuff and cheap. After that go here

Or buy a better rear drive bigger engined car.

Reply to
Burgerman