grey foam with ford air filter

I have bought a ford air filter for my Focus , it has a small grey foam square in the bag, is this meant to go some where ? Is it packing ? For cleaning the filter housing ? Someone here must know !

Si

Reply to
mr p

It is part of the oil breather system, may be blue in colour, it goes in the bottom of the air filter housing (you can see it with the filter out)

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

when you take the old filter out of the filter housing, look in the bottom of it, you should see the old piece, if its not there, you will see where it should fit.

Reply to
reg

I just bough a new filter and the same question popped into my head so I came back here. I realised that since asking this question in 2007 I have still never seen or replaced this mysterious bit of foam ! I guess it's not critical :-)

Simon

Reply to
Simon Parker

It is there to avoid any chance of the engine (somehow) sucking grit back into the breather that comes from the top of the engine.

Reply to
Mrcheerful