1973 NASA Hood question

Hi all,

I have a 1973 mustang coupe (351C, FMX). I'm thinking of replacing the stock hood with a NASA type.

Questions:

  1. Are OEM NASA hoods still available?
  2. Is there a repro NASA hood that someone recommends?
  3. Is it difficult to replace the hood yourself? I have some mechnical experience (ok, I rebuilt the engine by myself once, and the suspension twice). If I had an engine hoist or some other kind of lift, would I be able to replace the hood with the help of a friend? Or should I just let a professional do it?
  4. If I should let a professional do it, any names in the Phoenix Arizona area that I should inquire with?

Thanks to all,

John

Reply to
Johns.junk

NACA, technically. NACA was the predecessor organization to NASA & developed the "duct" we are familiar with.

BUT, you will get much better search results with a search on "NASA"... that's what Ford used(Ford wanted to associate with the popular NASA space program).

Didn't you take the hood off to get the engine out?

The paint, if you use the factory-style blackout, is tricky...:

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Actually, when I said I have rebuit my engine, I only really rebuilt the heads. I got those off and on without removing the hood.

So I've never removed a hood and am worried about getting it straight so that it's even and doesn't close crooked. Does the hood weigh alot?

Thanks,

John

Reply to
Johns.junk

two guys can have the hood off in seconds - scribe a line where the hinge meets the hood - mark it on two sides - easy.

Reply to
Doug & Stephanie