1989 Ford Mustang GT has been sitting for 5 years

Just bought a 1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.0, 5 speed. Its been sitting for about 5 years. Aside from the leaking heater core, it seems to run great with 132k miles on it. Anyone have any insight on what to watch out for? I'll definitely be changing the fuel filter, oil, etc. I'm worried that varnish has formed in the fuel tank and fuel system. What should I do before I drive it?

Thanks

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman

Just bought a 1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.0, 5 speed. Its been sitting for about 5 years. Aside from the leaking heater core, it seems to run great with 132k miles on it. Anyone have any insight on what to watch out for? I'll definitely be changing the fuel filter, oil, etc. I'm worried that varnish has formed in the fuel tank and fuel system. What should I do before I drive it?

Thanks

Byron

Reply to
jonezzzman

Well, according to recent posts to this group, you really need to watch out for a leaking heater core...

Reply to
WindsorFo

Okay, who stole the rug?? There's a horrible echo in here now.

Reply to
WindsorFo

You're correct to worry about varnish in the fuel system. Run a can of Chevron Techron, B-12 Chemtool, or Sea foam through it.

Otherwise, just routine maint stuff.

-------- .boB

2006 FXDI hot rod 2008 Mustang Coupe 2001 Dodge Dakota QC 5.9/4x4/3.92 1966 Mustang Coupe - Daily Driver 1965 FFR Cobra - 427W EFI, Damn Fast.
Reply to
.boB

I would recommend the BG 44K for the fuel system cleaner. All the BG products are very good, IMO.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

What you do in many ways depends on where you live. If you live in an area that requires emissions testing that is one place I would start. Get an emissions test and see what it tells you. I would change ALL the fluids. That means engine oil, coolant, transmission fluid, differential oil, brake fluid etc. Then check the brake pads, disks and drums for wear. A wheel alignment might be a good idea. Also, check for fluid leaks. I do this by placing a large piece of cardboard under the engine and transmission. Pull the spark plugs and check them, the distributor cap and check the contacts for corrosion, check the coil wire connections for corrosion on both ends. Check the air filter. Also, I would check the condition of all the vacuum hoses, coolant hoses etc. for excessive aging. It might not be a bad idea to check the condition of the radiator before summer get here.

Reply to
Michael Johnson

you may want to get a new set of tires, 5 years on the ground is not good in one spot I got some summer performance tires, they work great. I would replace the plugs, rotor. When reinstalling the plugs use that silicon grease on the electrical replace battery Check the hoses for age, cracking and replace. Check the fuel vapor canister vacuum hose (passenger side front of engine compartment low) Replace Belt Have the injectors cleaned at a shop, jiffy lube Listen for the throwout bearing (high pitch squeaking with shifting, clutch job then) Check the small tubes of the emissions system (passengerside firewall in corner) I would replace the fluids after 2k miles again

Reply to
Schmedly