911 SC been sitting 1.5 years

Hi guys,

I'll be driving a '80 SC this summer that's been sitting in a garage for 1.5 years. Before that it run fine. I haven't started her up yet but could you guys help me with a list of thing I should check before I start driving around too much?

Thanks,

Buddee.

Reply to
Buddee

Well: change the oil and flush the brake fluid. Drain the gas tank. If it doesn't have much petrol left, and/or water comes out, change the fuel filter and have a second one ready. If the battery is shot, change it to an Optima red top. The tyres may be rotted - if they are over three years old and sat for 1,5yrs - and I'd be very wary of them. Figure at least 4 weeks to get her up to speed. Just my 2cts john

Reply to
John Bradley

Buddee,

I'd add that it would be a good idea to add a bottle of Techron injector cleaner to that first tank of fresh gas.

regards,

Reply to
Mark

Awsome, thanks for the tips guys!

I've never worked on cars much but I'm extremely mechanically inclined otherwise. How much of this can I figure out how to do myself?

Buddee.

Reply to
Buddee

Buddee,

the 911 is easy to work on. If I can do it, anyone can. I'd suggest buying yourself a maintenance book, like the one by Bentley. It shows you how to do even what would appear to be the most complicated tasks.

Also, there's plenty of help to be had on line. An excellent source is the Pelican Parts board at

Lots of great people with tremendous experience with just about anything you'll encounter. Search the archives for tons of good info on any 911 subject.

enjoy!

Reply to
Mark

Thanks Mark. Do you know the exact name of the book or where I could pick it up?

Buddee.

Reply to
Buddee

Buddee,

Here's the title:

Porsche 911 Sc Service Manual Coupe, Targa, and Cabriolet

1978, 1979, 1980, 1981, 1982, 1983 by Bentley Publishers

You can get the book in a number of places. Here's a link to it at Amazon.com

mark

Reply to
Mark

I have the Bentley manual for the SC series of 911, still in the wrapper. Got two for Christmas and only need to keep one. $75.00 shipped.

Email me if you are interested. I can furnish you with ebbay reference

-4/ref=sr_1_4/104-8958130-2658352?v=glance&s=books

Reply to
Upallnight