brake problem, 1986 GT

I recently replaced the calipers, brake lines, and (of course) pads on my 86

5.0 GT. I bled both front calipers, and there are no leaks. However, I do have an issue, the brake warning light stays on and the pedal action seems slightly muddy. Is there something I'm forgetting, or did another problem pop up while I was working on this one? Do I need to bleed the rear (drum) brakes when I change the fronts? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Reply to
EvilAllah(tm)

I would bleed the whole system. Start with the wheel farthest from the master cylinder and work to the one closest to the master cylinder. Then see what happens.

Reply to
B&C H.

Your brake light is on so you may need to just crack a rear cylinder to let the shuttle valve move to the centre again to restore the front/rear brake bias. Also, this may sound dumb but did you put the new calipers on the correct sides? The rule of thumb is that the bleed screws are at the highest point thus removing all the air from the piston bores during bleeding. What I do when replacing calipers hoses etc. is to just crack the bleeder screws open and let the fluid run in by gravity for a while. That way when you bleed them properly you don't cause the shuttle valve to move. Also did you let the master run dry at any point? You might have let more air in the system. When I do major brake work I bleed the whole system anyways as it is a perfect opportunity to purge the system of old and probably contaminated brake fluid. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

this may sound

thumb is that the

screws open and

perfect opportunity

Reply to
joe

Brake fluid absorbs water. That is why when cars sit for years ( in humid environs) the first thing that needs attention is usually the brakes. The absorbed water will often condense or freeze in cold weather and separate from the fluid. It then rots the steel lines and pits the bores of the cylinders causing seal failure. A real danger from water in your brake fluid however is during a drive where excessive braking is needed ( at a track or down a steep mountain road) Brake temps get very high and guess what happens when water gets hot..it boils to steam and voila no brakes! StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet