going apey....HELP

Okay guys....

I am just gonna shoot ya straight....I replaced the alternator...have a brand new battery, new cap, new rotor, new plugs, new wires...new starter solinoid...I am freaking out.....starter was tested and is good!

The only time I can start the car is by charging the battery or get it jumped. I took off every cable I could find, cleaned every wire and every ground......when I run the car....she will not charge the battery....I am pissing away my summer joy joy rides.....by living in my garage....I NEED HELP!!!!

The ground terminal on the rear of the alternator does not have a wire connected to it...SHOULD THERE BE....and where does it ground to? How do I know if my Negative battery cable is good.....could that be it...it does not look worn....also----the reason I ask about the negative pin on the rear of the alternator is because I was told I do not need it because the bracket that holds the alternator to the block acts as the ground...HUH!?

If there is anyone near the montreal area that can gimme a hand I would really appreciate it......

Thanks

Rick

"1984 Mustang GT : First time owner/mechanic, trying his best"

Reply to
Rick

I just grounded the alternator from that terminal to under the generator box on my fender....it didn't work?

Any other suggestions!

Thanks

Reply to
Rick

Sounds to me like either a bad engine ground somewhere...either neg battery cable or the braided wire from engine block to the firewall.. Not sure if the setup would be the same as my fox body wagon with a 3.6, but I have a wire on every stud. you can try putting that gnd wire back on the alternator and ground it to some place on the block, then jumper a negative booster cable from the block directly to the negative battery terminal.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Rick opined in news:juFTa.6908$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

That's called the voltage regulator.. it could be bad.. and it has to be well grounded to work right.

It's sorta essential.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic