help guys!

What a _wonderful_ day. My ghia attempted suicide. 15 miles between jobs, and suddenly i'm trailing smoke like a stricken fighter. Even the passenger compartment had clouds of smoke.

Pulled over, realized damage was done, continued on on 3 cylinders, with people behind me seriously irritated :)

This car was bought by my grandmother, for my son; everything is a surprise. Engine pull revealed 92x69mm. The dual-port had not swallowed a valve, as I had thought, but sucked a valve guide out of the head. Unfortunately, part of the guide made it into the cylinder, leaving the head and the piston crown, shall we say, sparkly.

Now I'm in a huge bind. What should I do? Jeez! Has anyone looked at the price of heads these days?

Not knowing what heads these are, can I safely get only one (matching valve sizes, of course).

Should I just get a valve guide?

OK - I'm a licensed aircraft mechanic, and I'm not stupid (or maybe just slightly) but, at the moment, I'm seriously limited on cash! I'm saving every dime to get my wife and kids here.

Correct: Replace both heads, and all 4 barrel/pistons

OK: Match head, replace cylinder/piston

Desperate: Stick a new guide in a hole that has proven unable to retain a guide, and hope that the battered metal in the combustion chamber doesn't create pre-ignition hotspots.

All opinions are welcomed.

TIA guys.

Lemme go cry now :(

Chris

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

If you get one head, you need to match chamber volume as well as valve size= . Also, you need to determine if it has been ported at all....you will want= the flow the same intake and exhaust.

If it is a stock unported head, you should be able to match it.

You are looking at $400 for new heads...minimum.=20

As far as replacing just the guide, they have up to .010 oversized guides a= vailable. You need to determine what size was in there, and whether you wil= l be able to clean it up to get a proper fit with an oversized guide....ass= uming you can smooth the chamber somewhat.=20

Really, there is no way to make any kind of accurate determination without = hands on inspection.

Perhaps talk to a local cylinder head rebuilder?

You can look for used heads, but if they are in good shape people seem to o= vervalue them.=20

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

as valve

all....you will

it.

oversized guides

whether you

oversized

determination without

people seem to

Thanks for the input Gareth. Hating life at the moment, as this A.M. I ordered heads and cylinders/pistons from John at aircooled.net, and this afternoon got a call from my little 3 year old's mom, that she was just admitted to the hospital, with an (apparently) serious infection in the eye socket. Had I known a few hours sooner, i'd have used the money for an airline ticket.

At any rate, I decided to buy new jugs and pistons, and a pair of new heads. Hopefully, the bottom end wasn't put together as poorly as the top.

Thanks again for your input.

Chris

Love people, use things. Never get it backwards.

Reply to
ChrisKlinger

well you went the "correct " way... now you'll know it was done right. You still need to compare chamber volumes old head vs. new head, and check what compression ratio you end up with... then try to see what cam is in there (pull the oil pump out to see markings at the end of the cam). CR needs to match the cam.

Reply to
Jan Andersson

I am very sorry to hear about your personal tragedy...I have spent way too much time in the hospital the last few years myself.

Suffice to say, you have my well wishes.

To get back to technicalities...as an aircraft mechanic, you should have access to decent measuring tools.

Why throw good money after bad?

Split the case and start measuring.

If it specs, roll with it..if it doesn't dump it.

Check each piece.

Do not slap a new top end on an unknown bottom end.

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

well

match

and

this

3

with

known

pair

as

done right.

head, and

see what cam

end of the

Jan - I see a bolt-on cam gear, but no markings on the cam :(

Reply to
ChrisKlinger