PCV valve

Have purchased a "proper" oil filler cap for my '71 M-code. The one on now is a flat design with a PCV valve stuck in the hole in the center of the cap. The new one is a tall design with a right angle connector mounted on top. Both are twist on, of course. The problem being, there does not seem to be any provision for a PCV valve on the new cap. Do I need one? The new cap is supposed to properly fit a 1971 351C 4V.

mike

Reply to
goodnigh

You are asking if you need a PCV valve, correct? If you want to keep sludge out of your engine and keep air pollution down to a minimum, yes, you need a PCV valve. Does the new one have a removeable center?

BTW, I have a '71 351C 2V Cougar with a stock oil cap and it has a PCV valve.

Reply to
Kruse

"goodnigh" wrote in news:pJmdnZKXKcqB- OvVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Sounds like you got the wrong cap. Ford had two ways of doing that in those days. The cap you you got was for the hose that connects to the air cleaner. On that system, the PCV valve merely plugged into the top of the other valve cover in a rubber grommet.

The one you got is tall and fat, right? Those were on the 429 engines, because that's what's on mine. When I had a 400, the cap was thin, and the PCV valve plugged into the center of it. Those are the proper ones for the

351 - 400 engines.
Reply to
elaich