setting timing on 86 2.3litre

im having a problem setting my timing. I got the crankshaft and distributer set right but i cant get the camshaft set. there is supposed to be a plastic cover that goes behind it that has the markings but i guess that has broken off. Anyone know of how i can set it or maybe buy a new cover for it? Think the dealership would have em?

Reply to
John W

Check the wreckers for the cover first. The dealer will put on a rubber glove and check your prostrate without the KY. Did you replace the timing belt? When you do, that is when you set the timing marks on the crank AND the camshaft. The distributor shaft is really immaterial as you can install the distributor and set it to TDC on # 1 and adjust from there. Crank to Cam is the critical initial timing. Remove the SPOUT connecter and time as per specs. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

you can install

Reply to
John W

There should be a cam timing pointer UNDER the cover... IIRC, always was on the many I had.

THAT's what you're looking for. Set the crank to 0 then pull cover, set the cam pulley to the pointer.

When setting the idler/ tensioner, loosen bolt, pry back against spring, tighten bolt, set belt, loosen bolt - let the spring take up the tension, tighten bolt.. do again (loosen then tighten) at 1000 mi.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Reply to
John W