Someone help me, power steering/brake noise.

Hello all,

My 1998 Mustang GT makes a constant noise that only gets louder when you either turn the steering wheel, or press the brakes. The noise always there, even if the car is in park. The best way I can describe this noise is something like winding-grinding-gear type racket. It's very loud. The car leaks power steering fluid and it literally has no braking power. I mean, the car was just barely moving from the torque at idle and it took all my might standing on the brake pedal to get that car to stop. Are the power brake and power steering system somehow interconnected? I find it odd that it makes the same noise regardless of whether I steer or use the brakes. I don't know what to do here because the car isn't drivable in its current state. If I took it to a shop or dealer, it would have to be towed. Could this just be a power steering pump or rack problem? It's hard to tell where exactly the power steering leak originates from. Any suggustions would be great. Thanks.

Reply to
PaulG

"PaulG" wrote in news:1154910413.199028.63780 @h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

Paul Believe it or not, the hydroboost breaking system on your car is powered off of the power steering pump. So, yes your problem is with the steering. Find and fix your leak, top off the power steering fluid and you should be all set. DW

Reply to
DW

I agree with Paul. I've seen (and heard) this before. If the noise increases as you turn the wheel from lock to lock then it suggests that your PAS level is too low. More than likely it will be leaking, check the reservior tank and the PAS pipes.

Reply to
davea

I was told awhile back that my power steering rack was what was leaking and that it would eventually need to be replaced. Could replacing the steering rack solve all these problems?

Reply to
PaulG

Replacing the leaking part(s) will fix the problems. The noise sounds like a power steering pump low on fluid. It's not good for it to run like that.

Reply to
Brent P