Cheap "tuneup" things to help with emissions?

Hey all! I am so close to passing my emissions I think all I need now is a regular tune up.

I'm looking for very cheap things I can do that I have left out of my tune up list: oil change spark plugs/wires check/set timing fuel injector cleaner (do I need this if I ran the "Guaranteed not to pass" crap through?) clean MAF (brake cleaner) clean IAC (TB cleaner) clean Throttle Body (TB cleaner)

One person says to check the MAP sensor tube. Where can I get some info on this. Will I have one of these even though my 88 has MAF (was from CA originally I guess)?

Thanks,

--Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

Must not have a MAP sensor on a 88 stang with MAF because the vacum port on the firewall where it would be is plugged up with no tube.

Reply to
Cameron

One of the things I've read is to check or replace the PCV valve. I see in my Haynes manual where it says it is, but I dont really see anything in that spot that could be it. Can anyone see it in these pictures?

In these pictures your going to see something else, and I need to know if this is causung me a problem or not. Here is a picture of the throttle body side of my 88 vert that has a beautiful engine:

is a yellow arrow on the left and right side pointing to two tubes. The one on the right goes right down into another tube and the one of the left goes so far down behind the engine that I cannot trace it. Here is a picture of my emissions failing engine:
this picture I have the air filter (k&n) removed along with the hose that connects to the TB. I have also unplugged the oil filler hose. I have drawn yellow arrows to the same left and right places where I have NO hoses hooked up! NONE! I looked on the right and found the hose still attached and one end was plugged with a bolt. I could no locate the other hose on the left side.

Do these make a difference and what shoudl I do about them? I can obviously hook the one on the right up, but can I just plug the one on the left?

Thanks!

--Cameron

Reply to
Cameron

YOu have the sensor, but on MAF cars, it's a Barometric AP sensor (BAP) and not connected to Manifold.

IF I had those HC and CO readings, the first thing I would have changed is the FuelPressReg as it's a 'wear' item

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I cleaned the MAF, K&N filter, throttle body, IAC, and changed the plugs last night. Broke 2 wires so I guess I'll pick up a set of new wires today. Still have to fill it up with oil from my oil change and adjust the timing back to stock (10 i think). I talked to the previous owner and he said he upped that timing way up for more power.

If everything seems to be running good when I fire it back up, I also bought a bottle of techron fuel cleaner. I'm right on E right now, so if I dump that junk in and fill it up, do i have to wait a WHOLE gas tank before I can get my emissions done, or can I burn it around for an hour and be good to go?

All of that cost me less than buying a Fuel pressure regulator, unless I went with the $20 autozone one that is probably bunk. I only need to get those HCs down a tiny bit.

Reply to
Cameron

thicker oil in case you got some blowby ?? In any case Good luck. Getting to my fuel pressure regulator is a bitch, 5.0 1993

Reply to
Jeff H