Spring question (lowering) 2001 GT

Hey gang, im planning on lowering my 2001 GT a bit. Its got stock 17's on it. Ive heard some people say to lower it 2 or 3 inches, and others say less than an inch due to suspenson destruction.

SO, can i get some suggestions for the cheapest, best looking drop kit that wont destroy the front suspension when i hit a bump? Should i just go to ford racing and buy some springs? Or a performance place?

THANKS

Reply to
idahoprime

From what I've read 2-3 is *way* too much. IIRC, the general consensus here is that newer Mustangs should be dropped an inch at most if you want it to still be drivable. :)

I'll let someone more knowledgeable than I handle the specifics of your question...

Reply to
Garth Almgren

Isn't Ford Racing a "Performance Place" ?

Reply to
winze

The bullitt kit is the best all around package. It drops the cars 3/4-1" For a little over $400 you get a matched set of springs, struts, shocks, and swaybars. I love it on my 95 gt.

MadDAWG

Reply to
MadDAWG
** Hey gang, im planning on lowering my 2001 GT a bit. Its got stock 17's on ** it. Ive heard some people say to lower it 2 or 3 inches, and others say ** less than an inch due to suspenson destruction.

Don't fool with it unless you know what you're doing. I have quite a bit written about Ford's M-5100-A '01 Bullitt suspension kit, which was designed specifically for late model GT's. I also have an archived on-line copy of my famous spring compression rate chart, if you'd like to compare numbers as well.

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams
** The bullitt kit is the best all around package. It drops the cars 3/4-1" For ** a little over $400 you get a matched set of springs, struts, shocks, and ** swaybars. I love it on my 95 gt.

I agree. This is a great handling package on a budget. The best part is that it's also civilized around town, something us old farts have to be concerned with. :)

-JD

-------------------------------- Enlightenment for The Masses: http:/207.13.104.8/users/jdadams--------------------------------

Reply to
JD Adams

Another happy bullitt-suspended SN95 owner here... worked out great for me.

1998 GT Coupe 5-spd. Bright Atlantic Blue K&N FIPK, Tri-Ax, 3.73's, FRPP Coated Shorties, SpeedCal, P&P 2K Heads, 2K Intake, Bassani X-Pipe and Cat-Back, Subframe Connectors, JMS Chip, Eagle Alloy Wheels
bluestang98

1 inch is the way to go. 2 or 3 inches won't get you over any speedbumps anywhere and you risk damage to the underside of the car/bumpers etc. With 1 inch you will already be hitting the higher bumps if you are not careful. 2 to 3 inches drop will also give you some major suspension headaches due to all the changed geometry in the suspension setup. Not worth it unless you want to have a track-car only in my opinion.

Go with the Bullitt kit. Seems to be a nice setup. I used steeda sports with Tokico springs a couple years ago on a 95. Liked the ride also and it was about an inch of drop. Just enough.

Rein