Unmodified Fox GTs Hard to Come By

I've been searching for a straight and unmodified 1986 Mustang GT for over a month and am having trouble locating one. Are these finally getting rare? Most of them I'm finding are poorly repainted, abused, full of tacky aftermarket add-ons, and sporting "phat" rims. The only straight bodies seem to be the four-bangers.

I owned an 86 GT from my 18th birthday until I was 30, when an old man ran an intersection and t-boned it. It was a daily driver and everything was stock except a higher capacity fuel pump and an aftermarket clutch pauldron. Ran great. Totally reliable.

I love the foxes, particularly the interior of the later models, but the

86 really appeals to me. It's stripped down and bare bones. It shares the different "4-eyed" front end with the 85. The engine, due to the heads, is one of the worst 5.0 EFIs, but no one I raced around town could tell. It was fast and reliable. The five speed worked great and the clutch held up for over 100,000 miles. The red-lighted instrument cluster communicated a certain menace to the driver, and the Tron-grid instrument bezel was great for 80s nostalgia (I didn't have the fake allen-bolt cluster for some reason). The 10-hole phone dialer rims are classic and don't scream for attention. The exposed exhaust pipes (as on the LX) looked great.

Anyhow, just being nostalgic. A friend of mine just bought a Z06 and I'm wishing I still had the 86. Maybe a midlife can happen in one's thirties?

Reply to
lopator

I have a 93 5.0, and it has a case of the squeaks, almost everything squeaks, seats, dash, springs, glove box, and the seat springs are about worn out, so you sit lower about 2 or 3 inches.

But, I cannot floor it for very long, it is too fast for city streets,

Has poor paint job, some color comes off with your finger.

They are out there, but it takes a lot of looking.

Reply to
green

There definitely is something concise and substantial about the Fox GTs.

Midlife can happen at any age (my first one was at about age 26, and I'm on my fourth or fifth by now). Welcome it and cherish it; not many more poignant episodes occur in one's life.

pauldron /'p?ldr?n/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [pawl-druhn]

-noun Armor. a piece of plate armor for the shoulder and the uppermost part of the arm, often overlapping the adjacent parts of the chest and back. Also called epaulière. Compare spaulder.

Origin:

1400-50; earlier paleron, poleron, late ME polron, pollerons (pl.) < MF espalleron shoulder. See epaulet

New one on me. Very nice word. How does it apply to an automotive clutch?

Reply to
Frank ess

lopator wrote in news:SPJ7m.1514$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.iad:

Where I live, all Foxes are rare. The ones that didn't get killed by abuse and smog laws got eaten up by the stupidass ministock racers.

Are you familiar with this group? It's dedicated to foureyed Foxes.

One of the worst abominations is putting the Aero nose on the foureyes. That kind of discussion is not tolerated on those forums.

Keep in mind that most things that were done can be undone by someone with enough respect, time and money

I'm no big fan of that front end, but a lot of people are. When I look at it, I see a silly little grinning face. LOL. I much prefer the pre-85 grill.

Reply to
elaich

Can't believe I wrote that. lol

Quadrant (BBK in fact).

Yes, I'm a member of the SCA.

Reply to
waters

I have an '85 that I bought new in Jan of same. Since then, I put an entire SVO/SVT/FRP (depended on the year I bought stuff!) drive train in, Cervini Mach I style hood and a new black paint job. Never will part with my baby since I was stupid enough to let a '70 Mach I go years ago.

They are out there, I am doing my part to keep at least one going!

Reply to
carfan85

I recently sold a 1993 GT with 25,000 miles, bone stock down to the air silencer. I think I should have kept it as the guy who bought it said it would have a turbo on it soon. I still see them now-and-again though. You'll find one, I'm sure, though I'm sure the 1986 is a harder find.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen

Thanks for the tip. Great site.

Reply to
waters

I still have my '85 GT I bought new. It is all stock and has 27k original. Always garage stored. I have not moved it from the garage in

10 years, since I got my '89 McLaren vert. Still love it though. It was my first new car.

Good luck f>I've been searching for a straight and unmodified 1986 Mustang GT for

Reply to
hank

Since you're not using it, I'll give you a good deal for it.

Reply to
GILL

Shouldn't it be moved once in a while to keep lube spread around on everything? You can move it to my house.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Reply to
hank