Window Tinting Problem?

Hey guys... can I get your thoughts please on this...

I bought a 93 Cobra out of Florida. Well, up here in Calgary, Alberta, it snowed about 6" today and I sometimes wonder if summer will ever come.

Anyway, as you can imagine, the windows on the 93, coming out of Florida, are tinted black. I mean, b-l-a-c-k. Up here, I don't need that, nor want it, as it's an easy excuse for the cops to pull you over.

So, I contacted two shops about removing the tint... they say they can do the side windows no problem, but cannot, or will not, do the windshield.

My question is, what is so different about the windshield? I've read some Internet ways to get the tint off, but I wonder, am I gonna need a new windshield? If the shops don't want to do it, what's the deal?

Anyone had this problem before?

Thanks.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen

I have to remove my window tinting too. Its starting to bubble.

Here's an article I found on the web a couple weeks ago.

Hope this helps.

Byr> Hey guys... can I get your thoughts please on this...

Reply to
jonezzzman

Hey, I did find a place who will do the windshield. They want $50. $20 each for the sides. They can do it I say for that price. I asked them why others wouldn't do the windshield and they had no answer.

Brad

Reply to
Brad and Karen

They probably don't want the liability associated with touching the windshield! Some tint installers use a heat gun on the windshield to "shrink" the tint, and that isn't exactly the best thing to do to the laminated safety glass that your windshield is made of. In removing the windshield tint, there is the potential liability that it could crack the glass if the installer used a heat gun to get those fingers out!

Then again, they could also be lazy because removing tint is a major pain in the ass, especially if it is the cheaper tint. The good stuff peels right off, but leaves adhesive behind, requiring a not so fun process of wetting and scraping. The cheap stuff tears, comes off in layers, and leaves layers of film as well as adhesive behind, requiring hours of wetting and scraping.

I had to remove the full windshield tint before trading my car in some time back. Although I had a valid medical reason for tinting the windshield, it was only valid for me and the dealership didn't want the hassle of dealing with it. It took me 3 hours to completely remove the tint and scrape the glue!

Reply to
ChrisB