'92 Sentra- "saggy" driver's door

I'm back :-)

Well, the car is now quiet, registered and inspected, clean, and running pretty well even pre-tune-up.

However, the driver's door still "sags", meaning it has enough wear at the hinge that it hits the frame/latch of the car and needs to be pushed closed.

The local auto parts place has "Help" repair kits for replacing the hinge pin, but not for Nissan.

I would like to know:

Is replacing the pin a good fix?

Would another hinge pin work, if I can match it? IE, use a Toyota pin or other that is the same size.

or,

Should (can) I get the pin from the dealer?

Buy the hinge from the dealer, or other source?

doesn't list the hinge or pin)

and, finally,:

How do I replace the hinge/pin in regards to procedure? Once I remove the door, or maybe just the pin, I may not be able to drive the car. Removing the door may require hiring somebody to help me, if I need to get parts after removing the door I will have to hire somebody with a car.

Many thanks to anybody who can enlighten me; two shop manuals and Google haven't really helped me figure out what I need to do here.

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy

I replaced the whole hinge (don't recall if I did one or both). Propped the door up (on a cardboard box). I don't recall, but I suspect I removed the fender to make it easier. I think the dealer part was not that expensive.

Reply to
Gary

I took another look this AM. Found a position where I could

*see* what was loose while moving the door. It is the lower hinge, the part attached to the door is elongated. Presumably, the other part is frozen. So, new hinge seems to be in order.

Maybe I'll try the dealer tomorrow. I'll take a look at how the fender comes off, but maybe I can avoid that.

Thank you for your assistance.

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy

Definitely remove the fender, only takes 20 minutes or so, and makes it a 1 man job, also makes lining up the door so much easier.

Reply to
LouieG

Everywhere I read advised removing the fender but I was able to replace that bottom hinge without removing the fender. I had a helper though. Good luck.

Reply to
William Michael Greene

Thanks.

I went to the dealer today. I need to order both hinges because they can't tell which one it is (?) and they are $50+ each. They say I can return the one I don't need (the sign says I can't).

I just went on the web, but I cannot find the hinge ('92 Sentra,

2 dr, Drivers side lower) which may be #N463906 but all searches return #N463905 passenger side or driver's upper.

Can anybody locate this part from a reputable vendor? I'd even consider used if I had too, I could probably locate this locally if needed. I only find "spammy" sites with the wrong part.

Are the hinges from the passenger side really interchangeable? It might be worth the effort to just swap the d*mn hinges. Or take it off and get it welded. Or....

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy

According to Courtesy Nissans web page of the door

The Upper door hinge is interchangeable with the lower hinge of the other side and vice versa. Courtesy has the hinges for a much lower price, I have done business with them and the are quick to respond and ship fast,, and at a reasonable cost.

Reply to
LouieG

I agree, outstanding service.

Reply to
still me

Belated thanks, LouieG, that is just what I needed! the hinge, and a couple other little things. Thanks to you and to everyone who replied!

PB

Reply to
Plague Boy