Maintenance or Service Manuals for 2002 Frontier

Noticed 2" of play in my clutch pedal on a 2002, 4cyl, 5 spd manual transmission Frontier. Want to fix it myself. Local dealer only uses cheapest labor. Vehicles returned dirty and late----No more. Auto parts shops and Nissan dealer indicate that Chiltons, etc have not published any repair or service manuals for the 2002 Frontier.

Vehicle has 93,500 mi. with constant maintenance. Dealer wants $500 to tear down transmission, then some un-godly amount to fix. Seems to use parts changers, but paying for a mechanic.

Suspect all the 15, 30, 45, 60, etc etc maintenance fees where a waste of money.

Does anyone know of a good manual and/or know how to tighten up the clutch pedal play. I don't want to cause any harm. The transmission only makes a strange noise when going from first to second and only at revs greater than

2500 rpm.

As a final comment, a couple of months ago I took the truck in for an oil change and the person moving the truck was revving the engine to move the truck. I ran over and told him the parking brake was on!!!!!!

Digital Doug

snipped-for-privacy@netno-spam-fix.com

Remove no-spam to reply

Reply to
Digital Doug

Just but yourself a cheap ($13 - $14) copy of a Nissan manual by the Haynes company for the pickups. I just bought a copy of the "up to 1997" Haynes manual & discovered it was almost identical to the 1996 one I already had! If you need it, I could sell you may

1996 copy for the price of mailing it - lets' call that "$3". I noted in the up to 1997 copy there is information on adjusting the *hydraulic* clutch. On page 1-34 (fairly sure) there is info on adjusting the pedal height & free travel and on page 8-6 there is info about "bleeding" (getting all the air out of the hydraulic lines) the clutch system.

This stufff is not Rocket Science at all. The damned franchised dealers will "slaughter" you - quite frequently. I could tell you horror stories about that nonsense!

I might be able to scan a couple pages and put attachments on an e-mail & send 'em to you - provided you don't need all that many pages. Let me know by e-mail. - Rob

Reply to
Tech38

Manuals come in three types: a) Owner's - comes with new vehicle or from previous owner if he didnt lose it! b) Service (shop) manuals from manufacturer, in this case Nissan. SOmetimes similar info is produced by a third-party licensed by manufacurer or not licenesed at all - someone just makes up a CD. book, etc. designed to replicate manufactyuer's book. c) Repair manuals from well known publisher's like Haynes, CHilton, these sometimes lag in time, i.e. there's nothing for my new 2004 Sentra and all they offer is pre-2000 Sentra's from Haynes

My solution was: a) I have Owner's manual came with a new car, obiosuly; but also: b) MULTIPLE service/shop manuals from Ebay, multiple because no one was complete and a few were lying (generic "car repair" disk, nothign specific on sentras) but they were so cheap I dont complain ($12-20). So do this:

  1. Search Ebay. Sometimes supercheap ( or less) CD's are a hoax good for any generic car but not your specific model and not deep, just basic crap extracted from websites, books, etc. However my manuals from Ebay were 100% OK.
  2. Search Haynes
  3. Search Chilton
  4. Check manufacturer's website, perhaps call. In my case Nissan explicitly SPELLED OUT HOW TO GET Service (shop) manual in the back of User's manual (guide), i went there and found cost 0's, so not acceptable for a single person like me (OK only for a large shop or someone rich), so got from Ebay instead (not Nissan's official, but similar).
  5. Check helminc.com
  6. Check
    Some (not all) manuals there. ALl about Nissan's manuals, parts, etc

Finally:

  1. Search Web via Google, will return lots of false "hits" and time-consuming - the last resort however this is how I did find all about Chilton's, Haynes and helminc.com when I was a car moron seeveral years ago, helminc still in business and I got owner's manuals from them, buit no shop - shop was overpriced agagin.
Reply to
Marco Licetti