new noise in my '94 Setra 1.6L w/ manual transmission

My '94 Sentra XL w/ 1.6 L engine and 5-sp manual transmission has started to make a bit of a 'whine' type noise while driving. Most of my driving is within town now at speeds of 25-45 mph. I just noticed this within the last week or two.

The car has 262K miles on it. I bought it with 52K on it in 1997 and drove it 8 years of all highway driving (about 25K per year) and the last two and a half years it has been all within town with occassional highway driving.

Any ideas on what could be causing the noise? Performance does not seem affected in any way.

Mark

PS - I do have a leaky power streering system but that was going on for about 1 year and except for refilling every so often I don't notice any new noises from the pwr steering pump.

Thanks

Reply to
Mark Fields

The first thing to do is to check your transmission oil level.

John

Reply to
John Henderson

Yep, transmission oil level is the first thing to check. You can also start the engine with the transmission in neutral and the clutch pedal fully depressed. Then release the clutch. If the noise starts and is worse as the engine is reved up, you know it's coming from the transmission. Good luck. Al

Hey, Al

My 93 Sentra's MT makes a high, buzzing whine when I gear down for a stop. It's most noticeable when I let out the clutch going from 4th to

3rd and 3rd to 2nd. Is that anything to be concerned about, maybe the "throw out" bearing going bad, or maybe the oil level?

Thanks, JPM

Reply to
DemoDisk

You need to determine if it is indeed coming from the transmission or clutch. Downshifting at considerable speed, such as in fourth or third gear, can produce unusual vibrations and resonances in the chassis. That can cause noises from things like exhuast pipes, heat shields etc. So it could be nothing serious. Try the test I described. Engine running, clutch pedal depressed and trans in neutral. If a noise is present and gets worse with engine speed, then it's either engine, pressure plate or throwout bearing. If the noise begins when the clutch pedal is let out, then it's in the transmission. If there's no noise under any of these conditions and only appears when downshifting at speed, I'd suspect a vibration in some chassis component first. Good luck. Al

Thanks, Al

Reply to
DemoDisk