Oil in Manual Transmission

Just recently my dad took his '97 F-150 in to have the oil changed. While there they told him that the "transmission fluid" (is the oil in a manual transmission called transmission fluid??) in the MANUAL transmission was black and needed to be changed. Just wondering, is this somthing that normally needs to be changed. As to my knowledge the fluid in a manual transmission does not normally need to be changed, is this correct?

Reply to
Greg

all lubricants will breakdown and retain dirt. Also moisture will get into the tranny from changes in temperature. if you plan on keeping the truck awhile change the lubricants!!

Reply to
Snowseeker

BTW, it's easy to check your engine oil, but to check the transmission fluid level, you have to get under - and, I've told you put your finger in some little hole.

Why isn't there a more convenient way to check that oil?

And, since my '89 F150's trans. fluid slowly leaks, and they top it off each

3,000 oil change I do- should I ever bother having it completely changed?

-- Joe Zorzin

Reply to
Joe Zorzin

Your owners manual or the Ford dealer can tell you what lubricant is called for in you year and MANUAL transmission application. It could be anything from ATF Automatic Transmission Fluid to 90 weight gear oil, from bright red to dark brown in color.

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ