Nisstech -- re: '96 I30t 5sp

The local Nissan mechanics insist there is some play in the transmission where the axle is inserted that is causing a fluid leak at the seal, despite new seals two weeks ago. I have confidence in this repair shop, but the cost of a new or rebuilt transmission is high, especially for a

1996 automobile. My questions: does anyone (Nisstech?) know of a service bulletin on these older manual transmissions for I30s and Maximas from '96? Is this a common problem?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
ppointer

This is the differential bearing problem. Well known and expensive to fix.

Reply to
JimV

Thanks Jim. Any idea if there was a service bulletin involved? Any idea how widespread this issue is? Trying to decide if Nissan might help with the costs.

Reply to
ppointer

As far as I know Nissan never offically recognized it, but it happens to most all 5spds sooner or later. It's very unlikely they will help you with anything on a '96.

Reply to
JimV

I called national support for Infiniti just for fun. I guess the drive train warranty ran out in 2002, and they wouldn't help us. I opened up the phone book, and found a shop that would work on it at my third try. Though he had not done any repairs on an Infiniti, he had worked on several 5sp Maximas. He said the repair of the differential bearing is typically $700, plus the clutch parts if we want that done, too. Their work includes a 12/12k warranty, so I got on his list. Seems like a better plan than a rebuilt unit that we were quoted at $1,900. Thanks for your quick responses; you gave me the information I needed to work on a resolution.

Reply to
ppointer

Sounds about right. It would be foolish to not change the clutch while they have it all apart. The disk and the throwout bearing at a minimum.

Reply to
Jim

Here's the update. This tranny shop says there is nothing wrong with the transmission. The seal was installed incorrectly. Wonderful, because now I have to call my favorite Nissan shop and ask WTF, you wanted me to spend upwards of $2,000 minimum for a transmission I don't need. Damn it, because I've been comfortable with them since 1991.

Reply to
ppointer