1998 Altima Electric Problems After Jump Start

Hi,

I left the lights on in the hospital parking lot. The young security fellow hooked up his jump start battery backwards. Blew the main 100 amp fuse and has caused other gremlins. Service engine soon light on. Occasionally now, everything goes dead. No lights, locks, etc. Nothing. After an hour or two everything works again. (so far)

This problem may seem to be related to heat and/or running the a/c. The first time I started it after replacing the 100 amp fuse, I turned on the a/c to see if it was charging. It immediately died, but restarted. A couple of other times, it has died after having been run for a while. Running downtown yesterday on a hot day with no a/c on it died but started ok later. Running the fan maybe??? Tried jump starting and pulled the ground cable loose to see if it was a shorting battery. Still nothing.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks, Joe Trent

Reply to
Joe D. Trent

By connecting the jumpstart battery backwards, you can undertand the blowing of the fuse, and I would not be surprised if a diode in the alternator had been fried too. The equivalent circuit would be to short circuit two batteries connected in series, a 24v short.

Test the alternator, and check for fried c> Hi,

Reply to
AS

You are right about the 24v short! When I told the guy that it probably had fried the alternator or something he said, "these things don't put out enough juice to hurt anything." I would have laughed if I hadn't been in such a bad mood. Anyway. I did have the alternator checked at Auto Zone. It checked out good. But of course it wasn't hot. Have a fellow going to look at it. We'll see.

Joe

AS wrote:

Reply to
Joe D. Trent