Help Me Lube My Antenna

Yes, it's a real question.

I replaced my antenna unit about a month ago ('91 SE). It works fine, and didn't make any noise at first. But now it makes a squeaking/rubbing noise when it goes down.

What kind of lubricant should I use to stop this noise?

Thanks,

Bill G '91 SE Auto

166K miles
Reply to
Bill G

Bill, is the noise coming from the shafts as they collapse into the fender, or from the motor area? The shafts can be lubed with a silicone spray. Do not use WD40 or other petro based lube - dirt sticks to it and makes the problem worse. Also maybe the chrome collar (with the two notches) is a tad tight, causing some binding. My 3rd gen and 4th gen antennas required periodic attention. A couple of up-n-down cycles with the silicone usually makes the thing move smoothly. When they really bind, the shafts may not retract completely. Don't know if this helps but good luck. BeeP

95 SE Auto 89 SE Auto traded

squeaking/rubbing noise

Reply to
mrple

My 95 antennae is original. It sticks sometimes, I lube with silicone spray.

One thing that does happen is driving at high speeds bends the antennae and it needs to be straightened out carefully. Then it works again for another year.

Reply to
Richard Tomkins

Reply to
john smith