106 rear brakes etc

Handbrake has given up the ghost, lever comes all the way, yet almost no friction to rear wheels.

Took it to one of the quick fit tyre/brakes places who quoted £65 for new shoes (fine) , but once left with them they decided it would be £230+ since cylinders had gone (they said) , convinced they just didn't want the job, quicker profits to be made on other jobs that day?

Also convinced they never even looked inside the drums due to the hub nut issue

Can anyone tell me the torque setting for the hub nuts and the spanner/socket size reqd (and how long a bar I'm going to need to get them undone :-)) - no mention of this in Haynes man that I can find

Going to have to have a go myself thx

Reply to
only_me

To be fair to KF how coudl they know the cylinders were shagged until the hubs were off? If they are shagged then you are not going to put the car right by bodging it as you suggest.

Reply to
Chinese Cracker

Where does it say he's going to bodge it?

Reply to
Malc

Well in my Haynes manual on page 9-2 it says Rear Hub nut 103lb/ft and to use a new nut. IIRC it's probably 32mm but why not just take the wheel off and measure it?

Reply to
Malc

Very Easy job todo, i am always doing them, and the nut is a

32mm. unless some has fitted a diff nut,always fit a new nut.do it up at 100lbs.
Reply to
Chrs

If your local to me i will lend you the bar and socket to do the job at no charge,or i could help you do the job? chris addlestone surrey.

Reply to
Chrs

If it DOES want cylinders and he doesn't fit them it will be a bodged job. Easy peasy.

Reply to
Chinese Cracker

Thanks for all responses, and pointer to torque setting( yes its in my manual too ! ).

Not looking to bodge it, just not happy with their pricing, which seemed to be to price it for the worst case (and you know that would be the one you would pay regardless)

Not sure how they could justify that price either ( online pricing : shoes £17, pair of cylinders £30 ) If its £65 to change pads, changing cylinders at same time can only add 30 mins to the job at most, surely.

Anyway this if for my sons car which doesn't have much value left in it, so whilst we want it to be safe, it needs to be cheap, sorry, cost effective too.

If it need a cylinder then I'll probably fit one, although only need the car for another 6/12 months

Chris, Thanks for the kind offer, in internet terms then yes we are localish, reading/wokingham, plus I work near Heathrow. if you want to email me your phone number, I may take you up on that, sure you can work out what it is - cbartley@no_hotmail_spam.com

Thanks

Reply to
only_me

Can you see any wetness on the backing plate on either side when looking from underneath? If not, the cylenders might well be OK. If they are leaking, you must replace them, if they are not, leave well alone.

Reply to
Brian

Have you done your rear brakes plus cyls? so have a good look at the rear wheels to see if you got fluid on the back plate and dripping down on to the wheels.also is the fluid going down ? chris addlestone surrey..

Reply to
Chrs