1998 406 V6 Timing Belt

Car's done 80,000 miles now. Want to get timing belt, service and all fluids & filters done. Been told "Whooee! you're going to have to sell a kidney!" and other smart alec remarks.

I don't know much about car mechanics, but I have a strong feeling the local dealer wants to shaft me (they said about £800 + VAT).

So... what's a reasonable bill and what are my options?

BTW, which Haynes manual can I get for the engine? I already have their standard 406 manual.

Thanx for replies.

gino

Reply to
gino

Gino...........how many kidneys have you got?

Have not long had the timing belt done on my 98 V6 and it cost me £700 including the VAT. That was an independant garage that I use all the time. Peugeot main dealer quoted me more than £1,100 !! The problem doesn't end there though, it took 7 weeks for the timing belt tensioner to arrive from France so the car was off the road for almost 2 months, very distressing. Make sure that whoever does the work for you has all the parts before they start, I wish I had! Hope this helps and if you need more info post here. Chris

Reply to
Chris

Hells bl***y bells you two must have been seen coming and made someones christmas.The belt should be a standard item and can be fitted by an able mechanic. Can't remember the exact figure, just about a year ago now, now but it was considerably less than that, (more than half). The tensioner didn't need replacing. I replaced the anti freeze for an extra £40.00. Main service should be at 84k Belt 72+k

Reply to
John Hollinshead

Ooooooooooh John if only I'd posted here first lol Ah well you live and learn btw Gino, Haynes don't do a manual that covers the V6, I've searched!

Reply to
Chris

Reply to
John Hollinshead

I am running an R plate 406 2lt Turbo

Belt should be changed at 72K

Would suggest you change the tensioner and the water pump whilst its in bits

If you don't change the tensioner it could be a very expensive mistake

£90 for bits and around 3 hours labour (Perhaps slightly more for the V6)

I only paid £517 including Brake overhaul, full service and a new tyre.

Small two man band in Oxfordshire with a workshop you can eat your lunch off

Hope this helps

Tony R

Reply to
anthony redshaw

Mine did include tensioner, all the rollers, water pump and of course the belt. Something tells me I'll not be going back there for the MOT or service in future. Familiarity maybe the problem I think

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Have just dug out the invoice

Reply to
Chris

Well John, I don't seem to be as lucky as you. I was shown a diagram of a fitted belt. It looks like there are three guides, tensioner and water pump. I was told to get all these replaced as part of the job. Something to do with warranty issues. Anyway, still looking at around £400 at a garage that I know. Does that sound about right?

gino

Reply to
gino

Just phoned local Pug dealer. Brace yourselves... they want £90 (£90!!!??) per hour labour (4 hours) and God knows how much more for the bits. Maybe they are just doing this to turn away business? Maybe smaller, more frequent jobs are more profitable? Why don't they just say they don't want to do it? Jeez, I wonder what Porsche dealers charge for labour...

Have heard that Peugeot put same engine (ES9J4) in the 605, but I couldn't find out for sure. If they did, then maybe Haynes do a book for that car (inc. V6)?

Anyways, thanks for all the replies guys! This thread is getting interesting...

gino

Reply to
gino

Hi Gino

The 605 V6 engine codes are ZPJ and ZPJ4, so it appears to be a different engine. The Haynes Peugeot/Citroen Timing Belts Manual (Haynes no. 3568) does not cover any of the V6 engines. Haynes does nothing for the 605, and the only 605 manuals are a French book, a Russian book (yes!), and the Peugeot factory repair manuals. From time to time, you can find on eBay either the original (paper) repair manuals for the 406, or CDs which include the spare parts. Saw those recently with repair instructions for the 406 included. Try eBay and search for "Peugeot 406 repair manual" or something similar. Good luck

Ivar Petur

Reply to
Ívar Pétur Guðnason

You might consider a day trip to France, if you can make the chunnel. We needed a new heater matrix (or maybe not, but that's another story). Price was £500 in London, £250 in Cornwall, but only £120 in Calais or Cherbourg ... all from Peugeot dealers.

In the end I did it myself for £50, but as my wife pointed out, we could have had a cheapo day-tip with a pre-booked garage, a long lunch, snooze on the beach and nose around the shops, picked up the car and then 120 bottles of wine, and the "savings" on the wine alone would have paid for the matrix and the day trip!

Happy motoring.

Reply to
Wichita