205 XLD engine details

I've just purchased a 205 XLD (1.8l), I'm just wondering if someone could confirm the engine number for me (XUD7?), and if theres anything particularly interesting about this engine or anything to look out for? I'm going to change the cam belt and give it a general service when I get a few hours, is it any more difficult than doing the same on a petrol engine? (I'm migrating from the TU3S-powered 205 XS, which fell to bits last week :) )

TIA

-- Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

Hi,

Yeah, XUD7, XUD7/L if made after 07/92, /L have green plastic rings above the injectors.

Everything's interresting when looking at a XUD, it's just a nice part of engineering.

No, just a big lack of room, especially if you've only done it on TU's.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Yeah its an XUD7 then. I'd heard that its a pretty solid engine, it looks like there's not a lot in there to go wrong anyway...Its pretty low mileage as well so im hoping it'll keep going on my motorway treks for a while, even if the outside of the car is a bit bashed up :) The cam belt did look a bit more fiddly cos its half under the engine mount, just checking I wasnt going to have a shock when I took the covers off to do it.

Cheers, and merry christmas

-- Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

Get the Haynes manual, I am sure there is one for the 205 which covers this engine. If not, then there is one dedicated to the XUD series engines which will cover all you need to know. Worst bit is probably undoing the crankshaft end bolt. You have to support the engine and remove the top mount. However, this can also be a help in other ways, as it allows you to position the engine better to get at some of the fastenings around the belt and covers, and the tensioner. Brian.

Reply to
Brian

OK cheers, I haven't looked at it in much detail yet so any tips are welcome. I might actually have an XUD manual lying around somewhere, will have to have a hunt...

-- Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

Hi,

It's bulletproof, powerful, pretty silent, a dream to drive.

Won't give advice here, took me 16 hours to changer cambelt +tensionner

+water pump :-( I aldready said I wasn't a mechanic... That's a proof :-)

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

Yeah it certainly gets away quicker than I expected...much better than mum's 1.6 ZX diesel I drove before. It's somewhat lacking at motorway speed though (cos im used to being able to overtake with no effort in the XS :P), but it does need a new filter so this might improve things. Also the air intake sounds like it's sucking pretty hard, is there any point in me rerouting it so it doesnt go through that squashed little bit in the front grill? It looks a bit restrictive compared to the rest of the ducting. But it might be fine, I dont know, I didnt design it!

Your 205 site is very useful though, was looking at it last night, so all is not lost ;)

Cheers

-- Andy

Reply to
stealthf0x

16 HRS TO DO A CAMBELT AND TENSIONNER +WATER PUMP.SO U WOULD BE NO GOOD WORKING IN A GARAGE,AHAHAHAHA AT LEAST U DID IT YOUR SELF GOOD LUCK ON YOU. From Chris Addlestone Surrey.
Reply to
Chris

Hi Chris,

Yeah, but if you take my older posts, I often write I'm no mechanic, and that's true ;-) When I finished with this one, I said (and still think) "never ever a cambelt" ! I'll keep it with oil / filter changes anyway.

Regards, G.T

205 Diesel & turbo-Diesel :
G.T

AT LEAST YOU HAD A GO AND DONE IT .. GOOD FOR YOU. From Chris Adlestone Surrey

Reply to
Chris