406 V6 Brake problem solved!

Hi all,

I used to lurk her about a year ago and am posting this in case anyone else has experienced the grief I have and is looking for a solution.

Brief background: I bought one of the last 406 3.0 litre V6 saloons two years ago and have been absolutely delighted with it. I've made a few minor mods; custom air filter, superchip and ss exhaust. These changes have increased the power from the standard 210bhp to 235bhp. Needless to add the car goes and handles beautifully!

Except for one bloody annoying the problem. The appallingly wimpish front discs and pads which are simply not up the job of stopping the car and fade rapidly under enthusiastic driving. To add insult to injury the discs overheat and warp. I've had them skimmed twice and replaced once, each time involving fruitless arguments with Peugeot dealers and Peugeot UK. Basically, Peugeot just don't want to know and don't seem to think that putting brakes designed for the sluggish 406 diesels onto a car capable of 150 mph is bad engineering! The brake judder at higher speeds and the car weaving from side to side under hard braking are the icing on the cake.

To cut a long story short, last month I had EBC competition discs and ceramic pads fitted to the car. Problem solved! After bedding in, not only does the car brake much more strongly, from any speed, but seems to handle better and all trace of judder through the steering column has gone.

Total cost was under three hundred squids. If anyone else has a 406 V6, or is thinking of getting one, replacing the front discs with pukka kit will solve your braking problems permanently. The car is now the brilliant sporting saloon it should have been when it left the assembly line.

Best wishes,

Reply to
Del Tree