406 door lock problem solved

I post this message in the hopes that it may help someone else who should be unlucky enough to experience the same problem. A series of postings on this ng some months ago helped me to find an answer.

After getting the local dealer to fit a couple of new batteries in one of my two remote door keys (the one used by my wife) it went flat after a week and, not unnaturally I suppose, I blamed her for pushing it into an overpacked handbag! When it happened again after another replacement set (£6 odd), a week later, I wondered if, perhaps, her feelings of indignation might just be justified.

I discovered two tiny plastic fingers holding the batteries in place and one of them was hanging like a loose tooth, just about to break off at the roots. The broken 'finger' was only about 1mm thick so I glued it back in place and then surrounded it on three sides by a bank of car body filler. Eureka! - it's been perfect now for a couple of months. (It was most likely broken by the dealers but that was rather difficult for me to prove after also opening the key myself several times).

Now what I would like to know is, why do Peugeot make it so fragile when it obviously isn't necessary - or does my cynical mind connect it with the hundred pound bill I understand one pays for a new programmed key.

Anyway, be careful if you fit new batteries but remember that it may be possible to fix it if it does break. Incidentally, I just got some new replacement batteries, to hold in reserve, from 7dayshop.com for £1.29 for

2!

Eric

Reply to
Eric