Help!! Coolant Levels??

HI i have just recently purhcased an 1993 405 GE petrol and being a female have no clue about the coolant levels as on my other cars there has always been an MIn and Max level light plastic so you can see the water levels, but on the 405 its black plastic casing at front of engine ( hope this is the right) but i can not see any min max levels so how do know if levels are ok? also my petrol gauge when i first start the car are wrong it shows half a tank but there is only a tenners worth in it after driving for 5 10 mins it drops down to the quarter mark, should i be worried? feedback greatly welcomed.

Reply to
lee405

please can anyone help?

Reply to
lee405

The one with the triangle with an exclamation mark and a book on it? Yes that's where the water or rather coolant goes. Plain water has the habit of freezing at this time of year and rusting the innards.

Open it up and if the level is really low (low enough to light the coolant level warning light) you will see two steps on a vertical rib in the base under the cap. The top one is max the bottom one min.

Reply to
Phil Cook

cheers i will have another look at it, used to seeing it on the outside so did not have a good look inside it, but its good to know that a light will also tell me, puts my mind at rest. thanks

Reply to
lee405

Just don't get in the habit of relying on the light. It could fail and you would be none the wiser until the car goes knacker.

Reply to
malc

Any idea when the coolant was last replaced? Chances are the mixture is weak anyway so I'd top up with neat anti freeze just to ensure you don't bust the engine.

405s are funny with fuel gauges. I've had 4 of the devils and they all go up and down of their own accord, particularly when going round right hand bends.
Reply to
Kris

well it had a full service in August 06 so i'm hoping they would have checked it then. and yes the gauage does go nuts when i am going round bends,

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

I have a 405 and have no problem with the gauges. the only thing i got problems with is the speedo cable it shakes up and down while moving about 10 mph.have tryed putting grease down the cable but no joy so if anybody got any idea what i could do to stop this.??

Reply to
Chris

We have had many Peugeots over the years and most of them have had a speedo shake (wobble) around the 10 mph mark. We even had a brand new 505 estate which had this shake on the speedo from the day we bought it. I also had a

205 gti that had a wobble as well. Even had a Renault 21 GTX that did the same. I am sure its to do with the gearing in the actual speedo itself rather than the cable. We had the 505 estate for over 120,000 miles and it always did it. It was just a peugeot (french car) thing as far as we knew. The only Peugeot I have now is a partner hdi van and that speedo is bang on, but then again its electronic rather than cable driven GGJ
Reply to
Gary G Jones

My speedo shakes as well but not concerned as long as it is fairly acurate.. would hate to get done for doing 33 miles in a 30 zone due to speedo ;-)

Reply to
lee405 via CarKB.com

Problem of course is that the cable has to go round corners in the engine bay and passes the exhaust manifold so in no time at all they dry out. Same with clutch cables. Could always buy a LHD Pug I suppose lol.

Reply to
Kris