intercooler in 406

Hi, all. What is the intercooler? Does it work automatically, or only when the A/C is on? Sorry for a lame question,

Piotr

Reply to
Piotr (popaj)

I'm sure that the Intercooler is more to do with the turbo on the diesel engine, although I could be wrong.

MS

Reply to
Marcus Sheen [UK]

Hi you!

It's part of the engine. When the air that is used to burn gasoline in the engine is forced into the engine (eg by using a turbocharger), and not just sucked in, it gets hot (100°C or more). When the temperature of a gas (air is a gas) rises and the pressure stays the same it will expand. So if your car burns (just guessing...) 5 liters of air at every revolution you will actually get more out of it when the air is colder, since then there are more Oxygen-atoms in each liter. When you have more Oxygen-atoms per liter you can also burn more fuel, thus making more power.

An intercooler is between turbocharger and engine and cools the air down.

A/C is a completely different thing. The intercooler is alway on.

No problem, we all asked at on time.

BTW: for this kind of question check out

Tobi

Reply to
Tobias Meyer

- Tobias, thanks for the response. So: the small radiator that serves the intercooler should be cool (when the engine is "on")? Or, in P406 HDi... there are special conditions for the radiator to be cool?

Thanks Piotr

Reply to
Piotr (popaj)

Asar as I know there is only warm air in the intercooler, that has to be cooled down in order to boost the performance of the engine.

Reply to
Donkeyman

That's exactly what I seaid.

Tobi

Reply to
Tobias Meyer

Damn, alright. You won.

the principle is the same :-) Tobi

Reply to
Tobias Meyer

HAH!

There are air-water intercoolers. Just as I said.

You didn't win anymore, it's equal. :-)

Tobi

Reply to
Tobias Meyer