1978 TA reverse light question

Hi All, We have a customers 78 Trans Am in the shop,that the reverse light are not working. It is a standard transmission,and the customer states it was not converted from an automatic. There is an interlock I think it's called in the column, and the reverse light switch is on the column,with only 2 wires going to it. And under the hood,there is a "lever" coming off of the column interlock, but it is not connected to anything. So of course,putting the trans. in reverse,does not move the interlock in the column. Could someone have removed this rod ,or what ever moves the interlock. I don't seem to see anything on the shifter where it would hook up, but I may have missed it. Does anyone know what this "rod" is called,and what it looks like, and would I still be able to get it from the dealer? I am in the process on installing a lighted toggle switch for the reverse light to pass State inspection,but would rather have them working automatically with the shifter. Thank, Tony

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI

In the early 70's there were linkage rods (much like shift rods on an auto trans with a column shift) connecting the trans reverse lever up to the comumn for manual trans cars, and that switch on the column is the reverse light switch. At some point, they switched to a different transmission with no external linkage and the switch was put on the trans. If you can move the column and make the reverse lights come on, I'd say that car is missing the linkages. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Yes, I can move the column and make the light's come on, This car has had headers installed, and I read form doing a google newsgroup search, that sometimes the rod was removed to make room for the headers. Thanks, Tony

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI

There ya go! Headers never fit anywhere easily. Back in the 60's before the mickey-mouse linkage arrangement, there was a reverse switch on the trans (bolted to the outside). If you want the car to function properly, find one of those switches and run new wiring. That's far better than a manual toggle switch. GW (whose 70 GTO has a 67 reverse light switch 'cuz all his linkages were missing too)

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

Geoff, Welcome back! Long time no hear from. How is life in the Islands? Paul

Reply to
=?x-user-defined?Q?=AB?= Paul

Where would I hook up the switch? I looked real well for a plug in the tranny, but can't find one. Or would you have to rig some type of switch to the linkage? thanks, Tony

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI

The switch I have bolts to the side cover of the trans, or to a threaded hole on the side (idr). I had to make a small rod to connect between it and the reverse lever. That was much easier than trying to find the five or six missing pieces for the original linkage. I ran wires from the harness under the dash, through the shifter hole to the switch. GW

Reply to
Geoff Welsh

OK, I guess. I'm working less at the shop cuz my back is screwed up (not standard lower back issues, but a strange twisting problem...If I were in MLB I'd know a good doctor for it). I lost interest in the group when my dad died last year (4/05). Now that I'm working less, I guess I'll have some more time to contribute here.

My email address is the same if you want to send me yours again...I recall it changed a few times. GW

Geoff Welsh

Where would I hook up the switch?

The switch I have bolts to the side cover of the trans, or to a threaded hole on the side (idr). I had to make a small rod to connect between it and the reverse lever. That was much easier than trying to find the five or six missing pieces for the original linkage. I ran wires from the harness under the dash, through the shifter hole to the switch. GW

OK guys, Thanks for all the insight............ Looks like the linkage must have been removed to allow for the headers. I don't think my boss is going to let me mess with this thing too much longer, And as the customer said he is OK with the lighted toggle switch, guess that's the way it's going out.

Had to fool with the wiring a little, one way the toggle light was on, reverse lights off, Reverse lights on, toggle light off, had to add a ground wire to the toggle, there were three tab's on it. Made a nice little bracket for the toggle, as I did not want to drill a hole in the lower dash panel. Thanks, Tony

Reply to
ANTHONY DIODATI