1991 sunbird - breaks?

I own a 1991 Pontiac Sunbird (4 cylinder, 2.0 liter, 4 door) and about month ago the outer break pad on the front passenger side started rubbing the rotor. I have replace struts, ball joint, rotor, tie-ends, break pads, break calipers and have balanced and rotated the tires. All of this work and the pad is still rubbing. Any suggestions?

Reply to
jbryan_31

Do you mean the pad is dragging on the rotor and wearing down?

Is the rotor getting hot ? To the point you get burned if you touch it to long.

Sounds like your caliper is not relesing pressure when you take your foot off the brake pedal. Check to see that the slides on the caliper are cleaned & well lubed. A deteriorated brake hose may also be collapsing interally not allowing the brake to release. Especially if the brake hoses are the original's. I just went through replacing my hoses and all is well again. My left front was actually smoking it got so hot.

Harryface =D8=BF=D8

1991 Pontiac Bonneville LE 302,643 miles
Reply to
Harry Face

the outer pad is dragging so bad that it is completely gone in about 2 weeks, but the inner pad has little wear... the rotor has got so hot that it worped the first one that installed... my first thought was that the slide bolts were not releasing so that was the first thing that I replaced (new caliper and slide bolts)... It didn't hit that maybe the brake hose is collapsing... I was also told that it might be a bad lower control arm bushing going bad... I will have to try replacing the break lines and see if that is it.. thanks..!

Reply to
jbryan_31

More than likely you have a collapsed flexible brake line. This is the "rubber" hydraulic line which is attached to the caliper. Fluid can be forced through by the extreme pressure exerted by the master cylinder, but it will not bleed off because the inside of the hose is collapsed. Very common on older cars, especially if the brake fluid is not changed on a regular basis.

Reply to
Weird