1998 Grand Prix supercharger on the fritz

3 months out of warranty, the supercharger on my Grand Prix GTP is making random clicking noises at idle. When I rev the engine in neutral, the boost gauge just goes up and down between zero and about 20%, instead of going up to 100% like it used to, and the engine revs go up and down as well.

Questions:

1) If I simply disconnect the belt to the supercharger, will the engine still function okay? Or will the non-turning supercharger impede the inflow too much?

2) How difficult is it to replace the supercharger myself?

3) What's the best place to get a replacement? New or used? How much?
Reply to
xxxxxxxx

Here you go:

Good price too, if it doesn't shoot up.

Reply to
Paradox

Hey, thanks. I'd already seen this one:

...but it looks a bit shorter than the one on my car. The one you linked looks very similar. The only difference is that the case casting is slightly altered.

How difficult is it to replace this unit? The main barrier I noted is that there are four stainless steel pipes going over the top of it...I guess they're fuel lines. Any idea how these get disconnected?

So far all I've done is remove the belt, which "cured" the problem in that it no longer makes noise, and runs smoothly at high revs. In fact, I've been surprised that it's pretty hard to tell that the supercharger is disconnected at all. Still has decent acceleration. Makes it tempting to just ignore it, although it would undoubtedly decrease the value of the car when it comes to selling time.

Reply to
xxxxxxxx

I forgot the company who makes them, I think its Magneston, or thats the company that sells them, they will rebuild them for a price, Otherwise if you can get the one off ebay, it should pretty much just bolt on, just need to find the release clamps for the fuel lines.

Paradox

Magnuson Products in Ventura, CA (tel 805-642-8833) sells rebuilt superchargersfor $1,100 plus a $200 core fee (refundable if yours is usable) plus $50 shipping (covers both to you and return of your old unit to them).

Good Luck!

doug

Reply to
doug