2004 Grand Prix GT2 Onstar non-responding

Looking for some help here, we just bought a 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2 with the Monsoon sound system upgrade (including XM-radio) and Onstar, however, the Onstar seems to be non-responsive. I tried pressing every single Onstar button but the radio keeps on playing and no indication whatsoever of the Onstar being functional.

Checked the Onstar fuse on the passenger side of the instrument panel and it's good, not sure where to go from here.

That is besides asking the question here and trying to avoid the $75 diagnostics service charge at the Pontiac dealer...

Thanks!!!

Martin

Reply to
dutchmonkey

Martin, I have OnStar on my Bonneville, but it was only free for the first year of ownership. Since I never used it during the first year, I didn't bother signing up for it after the free period. Having said that, even if the previous owner of your GP didn't renew OnStar, I'm pretty sure that you still should be able to contact an OnStar rep by pressing the blue OnStar button. If you get a recording, push the blue button a second time to speak to a live Advisor about activating your service. Here's a link that tells you all about OnStar:

Cool Jet

Reply to
Mike Levy

There is no light on the mirror at all, will try the mute in a minute... Do you happen to know where the plug is that you are referring to? ;)

Thanks for the fast replies!!!

- Martin

Reply to
dutchmonkey

Quick update, just went to my car (since it's dark outside now) and the lights on the onstar buttons where on, the indicator light on the right side of the buttons was red, I pressed the blue Onstar button, the sound muted the radio displays "phone" and the lights on the onstar buttons are off now, can't do anything to get the radio back to play... HELP! ;)

Reply to
dutchmonkey

Allrighty than, woke up with frsh look on things this morning, pulled the Onstar fuse and the radio starts playing again, even after putting the fuse back in place. Using any of the onstar buttons cuts off the radio again and the fuse has to be pulled again to get the radio back to work (there is no sound/indication at all that the Onstar unit is functional as the solid red light changes into a blinking one when the red or blue onstar button is pressed, and it changes into a solid one when the white button is pressed, but no audible confirmation at all)

Reply to
dutchmonkey

Here's a starting point. Note the need for a scan tool. There are numerous other procedures that are referenced in the procedure below.

Document ID# 740644

2004 Pontiac Grand Prix

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Diagnostic System Check - Cellular Communication Test Description The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

Lack of communication may be due to a partial malfunction or a total malfunction of the class 2 serial data circuit. The specified procedure will determine the condition.

The presence of DTCs which begin with "U" indicate some other system control module is not communicating.

Step Action Yes No

1 Install a scan tool.

Does the scan tool power up? Go to Step 2 Go to Scan Tool Does Not Power Up in Data Link Communications

2 Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF. Attempt to establish communication with the Vehicle Communication Interface Module (VCIM). Does the scan tool communicate with the VCIM? Go to Step 3 Go to Scan Tool Does Not Communicate with Class 2 Device in Data Link Communications

3

Important The engine may start during the following step. Turn OFF the engine as soon as you have observed the Crank power mode.

Access the Class 2 Power Mode in the Diagnostic Circuit Check on the scan tool. Rotate the ignition switch through all positions while observing the ignition switch power mode parameter. Does the ignition switch parameter reading match the ignition switch position for all switch positions? Go to Step 4 Go to Power Mode Mismatch in Body Control System

4 Select the display DTCs function on the scan tool.

Does the scan tool display any DTCs? Go to Step 5 Go to OnStar Symptom Diagnosis

5 Does the scan tool display any DTCs which begin with a "U"? Go to Step 6 Go to Step 7

6 Does the scan tool display DTC U1500? Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List in Data Link Communications

7 Does the scan tool display DTC B1000, B1004, B1007, or B1009? Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List in Body Control System Go to Step 8

8 Does the scan tool display DTC B1327 or B1328? Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List in Engine Electrical Go to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List

Reply to
Silver Surfer